The Future of Music
LiLo | 09/01/2007
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I do not know who tagged Gary Numan onto Ultravox but the person should be ashamed.
Midge Ure's vocalizations are nothing like Numan's. Allegedly Ure was pegged to become the Sex Pistol's lead singer but turned down the spot joining with Ultravox. Overnight Ultravox went from a punk rock band (led by their previous singer John Foxx) to a band built around Midge Ure's smooth superb vocalizations. Few males can achieve achieve Ure's vocal range, certainly not Gary Numan.
Do not expect to hear any type of punk music. Instead I would compare Ultravox to New Order's sound. The difference being a smoother mixture of classical music and modern sounds. Due to Ure's voice it was possible for Ultravox to explore rhythms and sounds other bands could never acheive. IMO, the finest male singer in our generation and not many people know of him.
You will hear rhythms coming onto the track and leaving only to return once again similar to Mike Oldfield's style. I strongly believe this was the future of music but was abandoned by american producers for the Mickey Mouse Club dancers. They didn't have anything else as grunge died away.
Where will music go? Stay with hip-hop? Not likely. It will seek out where it left off and continue onward. It will find Ultravox's sound just as the reader is doing. If you like New Order, or DePeche Mode you will like Ultravox. They are fingers on the same hand. Seperate and different yet coherently attached to one another. This band is a very strong recommend for true music lovers."
A must have Ultravox CD
J. Edwards | RI USA | 01/14/2008
(4 out of 5 stars)
"The digitally re-mastered Lament is awesome. It includes several cuts that weren't on the vinyl (for those of you like me who are re-placing)& gives you the music you know in a clear, crisp format. This is a must have for any Ultravox fan. Enjoy."
Peaked With This One
David D. McFarland | Oceanside, California United States | 02/18/2010
(4 out of 5 stars)
"1. White China 3.51
2. One Small Day 4.33
3. Dancing with Tears in My Eyes 4.40
4. Lament 4.40
5. Man of Two Worlds 4.28
6. Heart of the Country 5.06
7. When the Time Comes 4.56
8. A Friend I Call Desire 5.09
Love tracks 1,2,3,4 & 6 the best, White China could have been a single. A excellent collection of music. I highly recommend getting this one.
1. One Small Day (Special Re-Mix) 7.48
2. Easterly 3.48 [B-side One Small Day]
3. Lament (Extended Mix) 8.01
4. One Small Day (Special Re-mix Extra) 8.31
5. Dancing with Tears in My Eyes (Special Re-Mix) 10.00
6. Building 3.11 [B-side Dancing with Tears in My Eyes]
7. White China (Special Mix) 8.22
8. Heart of the Country (instrumental) 4.24 [B-side Lament]
9. One Small Day (Final Mix) 7.35 [from bonus 12" with 'The Collection' LP]
10. A Friend I Call Desire (Work in progress mix) [previously unreleased]
11. Lament (Work in progress mix) [previously unreleased]
Really good but where is the US remix 12 inch versions of tracks 4 & 5. Oh well, I have them already in digital form but thought they might have put those on here and possibly eliminated tracks 10 & 11. Still a excellent bonus CD.
Come by my website sopmetime and say "Hi" @ "Judemac forever" Google it.