Arriving as it did in 1990, before nostalgia for '70s dance music turned from irony to genuine appreciation, Lisa Stansfield's Affection was ahead of its time. Featuring up-to-date clubland rhythms percolating under sweeping string arrangements a la Barry White and classic Philly soul, Stansfield's music struck the perfect balance between looking forward and looking back. "All Around the World" was justifiably the album's smash hit, but more than a few of the other tracks--"This Is the Right Time," "Live Together," and "Poison" among them--are its equal. And it's easy to get lost in Stansfield's supple, soulful voice, which leads the way in making Affection a far more memorable affair than the usual dance trifle. --Daniel Durchholz
Similarly Requested CDs
This album changed my life!!/Update 2010: My ideas for Lisa
ilovevictoriaprincipal | Tokyo, Japan | 07/24/2008
(5 out of 5 stars)
"1990: I was fifteen years old and I was watching MTV one day, and suddenly the song 'All Around The World' came on by this new singer Lisa Stansfield. That was it, I was hooked. I literally felt like this music was speaking to me: the voice, the beat, the catchiness. I sang that song (and all the others on the album) millions of times, wishing I was Lisa. Lisa's debut became MY music, above all else. It shaped my adolescence and I haven't been able to put it down since. Now before you write me off as a Lisa fanatic (which I proudly am, and you will be too after listening to this classic album), let me agree and add to the reviews below.
1. Lisa's voice is intoxicating and hits all the right notes at all the right times.
2. Every song could have been a hit and production is amazing throughout.
3. The music wants to make you dance, cry, sing and chill to.
4. Affection never gets boring, and does not sound dated at all.
5. We Lisa fans need to keep her music alive and help it be rediscovered... it is only a matter of time before the 1990's style becomes fashionable again and this album is given even greater classic status than it already has.
And remember, 'You Can't Deny It', 'This Is The Right Time' to listen to this album 'All Around The World'.
**Update August 16, 2010: OK, it has been 20 years since Lisa crashed the international scene and made a big splash. Considering her amazing talent and esteemed reputation "All Around The World" with fans and in the industry why has Lisa all but disappeared? Since the fiasco that was "The Moment" in 2004 we have heard nothing from her. WE NEED LISA BACK AND NOW!! Of course, her comeback would have to be well planned and fit with today's musical tastes. Here are my suggestions for re-introducing Lisa and guaranteeing that she would be successful..
1. Lisa could record an album of R&B covers of some of her favorite mentors: Barry White, Gladys Knight, Dionne Warwick, The O'Jays, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross and so on.. She has already either worked with some of them or recorded some of their hits. Doing an album like this would ensure a lot of exposure since she would be bringing in an audience from each of the artists she covers.. Albums like this are usually well received when done right
and with Lisa's talent this would be a given..
2. Lisa could go the Taylor Dayne route and concentrate on her strengths in the dance/gay/club community.. She already had major success in the 1990's with this formula with her fourth album and scored several #1 singles on the Dance charts.. Why not pull out all the stops and do an album of pure dance music and remixes?
Any other feelings or ideas? Lisa if you are reading this, please come back to us soon! xo"