Do not buy this!!!
miket34 | Brooklyn, NY United States | 11/07/2001
(1 out of 5 stars)
"Horrible SOUND QUALITY! NOISE - it sounds like it was recorded from a cassette tape! Music itself is not in question here of course but the noise makes it impossible to enjoy. Even if you remove the noise somehow, the sound itself is pretty bad too - uneven frequencies balance, resonating bases on some tracks, no highs at all on the others. I'm almost positive that the source for these tracks was a very low quality cassette tape. BAD! Stay away from this (...)."
clwinter | 12/17/2001
(4 out of 5 stars)
"I have this CD along with Mozart, Chopin and a couple others of the Relaxation CDs and I think they are wonderful. I listen to this CD all of the time when I am studying (actually I'm listening to it now studying for finals). The Adagio for strings (for string quartet/string orchestra), Op11 by Samuel Barber is my favorite on the CD. It is so beautiful. Wonderful compilation!!"
A disappointing collection at best. Look elsewhere for bette
G. Stewart | Chesapeake, VA USA | 07/14/2007
(3 out of 5 stars)
"The composers and compositions included in this compilation are all wonderful. That is why I bought it. Unfortunately, the disc is flawed and unemotional.
The problem with this recording is the sound and the heart behind the performance. The entire album is very poorly mixed and some of the songs cannot be heard unless you turn the volume all the way up, which, upon crescendo, leaves you deaf and makes you swallow your tongue in shock. Well, maybe not that bad, but you get the point. The majority of the songs are just not played well. I can't really explain except to say that there is no passion in the music.
Each of the pieces, played and mixed properly, would easily rate a 4 or 5, however due to the sound and/or performance, a lower rating is deserved. Here is how I would rate each of the songs on this disc based on sound quality and performance:
1. Concerto in G - ** (very quiet throughout, but a nice performance)
2. Adagio for Strings - *** (average performance of a great composition)
3. Concerto for Bassoon - ** (boring, no feeling)
4. Intermezzo - *** (quiet in parts, but a decent rendering)
5. The Creatures of Prometheus - **** (one of the better tracks on the cd)
6. Violin Concerto No. 1 - *** (not a bad mix, but played dispassionately)
7. Enigma Variations - ** (very quiet throughout, but played beautifully)
8. Adagio in G Minor - **** (best sound mix on the disc, very good piece)
9. L'Arlessienne - * (noise in background; sounds like a copy of a copy)
10. Symphony No. 5 in C Sharp minor - * (quiet then loud, very bad sound mixing)
Again, this is a compilation of wonderful compositions, but the quality is sub-par and I expected a lot more. I would recommend that you look elsewhere for better quality recordings as this was not what it should have been.
Overall, a 2.5; 3 stars is generous."