Discussion Forums - New Age

Topic: shipping CDs complete with cases

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
RutaBaker (Marya Z.)

Subject: shipping CDs complete with cases
Date Posted: 8/31/2010 6:36 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm new to swapaCD but belong to both sister sites. I have shipped CDs complete with cases and would prefer to receive CDs in cases. Who's willing to pay the extra to ship a CD in a case? 

If you leave a note here, I can check your CD tower. I haven't compiled a WL because of the case issue.

My preferred genres are classical, New Age, and World music in that order.

Thanks

Advertisement (Bret H.)

Date Posted: 12/10/2010 12:32 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Last Edited on: 9/14/21 1:03 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
markg731 (Mark G.)

Subject: Ship cases
Date Posted: 4/22/2015 1:47 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

The problem with shipping cases is that it can cost twice as much or more. I can ship a CD with artwork and a thin piece of cardboard using a cardboard envelope for $1.12 (as long as it's less than 1/4" thick). It's basically 3 ounces First Class Mail with a $0.21 non-machinable surcharge. If I include a case, it takes the package over 1/4" thick and requires it be shipped as a parcel. The rate jumps to $2.32 for the same 3 ounces. When you ship a lot of CDs, this can add up. I have received some CDs with cases, but don't expect cases. In my experience, most cases arrive cracked, damaged, with personal labels on them, or other random blemishes. So I wind up not using them anyway. For that, I have a supply of brand new jewel cases to use for my SACD purchases. Office Depot sells a package of 25 Memorex  standard jewel cases for under $10. To me, that is worth it so I can request CDs I want in my library and not have to worry about receiving a broken case or none at all. :-)