Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: My post office charged me $1.31 each, not 81 cents - why?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Karin B.

Subject: My post office charged me $1.31 each, not 81 cents - why?
Date Posted: 12/28/2009 9:27 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Has anyone had this issue? I posted my first 2 CDs today. Sent the disc, front and back inserts, very light cardboard to protect and the paper with the addresses wrapped around that. Totally confused by why I was charged 50 cents more. Anybody know how I can prevent this in the future?

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 12/29/2009 10:27 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

The postal clerk probably priced it as a package, rather than a letter.  You need to explain to them that it is thinner than 1/4 inch, so it is a letter.  Since it is rigid, you have to pay the 20c Non-Machinable fee.  Many postal clerks are rather dense about this.  To avoid the hassle, buy a bunch of stamps and put the CDs in your outgoing mail.  One thing to keep in mind:  if it gets over 2 ounces, you have to add an extra $0.17 for every additional ounce.  Here's a link to the postal rates:  http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-prices.htm

Karin B.

Date Posted: 12/29/2009 7:03 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks so much for the clear explanation. Now I know what exactly to tell them. I appreciate your help.

myke007 (Mike P.)

Subject: ...
Date Posted: 12/31/2009 5:43 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

DT is probably right. My local post office is notorious for inconsistent fees. An 8 ounce package is charged at 40 cents higher than it would go for at a post office one town over. Something's up...probably inexperienced clerks...so I now have to cross city limits to mail anything.

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 1/1/2010 10:54 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Agree with Mike, and many others -- completely, that there are inconsistencies from one PO to another.  I avoid using the one closest to me because of inconsistencies in the way fees are applied, and -- well, because talking does no good.  And it comes with an "attitude", besides -- service with a sneer.   It's a five minute walk away but I can't stand going there anymore because I really loathe paying extra for the lecture along WITH the ignorance.  Wasting my breath in explanations just wouldn't make it a better experience, somehow.  Pass.

Now  as for the the gals at the NEXT PO over -- they're great!  (They have great musical taste, too --  and they like getting stacks of overflow-CDs!)  Only problem is, they're 40 miles away.

My solution has been a wad of $1 stamps.  One stamp for one disc.  Two stamps for just about everything beyond that.  At least if I'm overpaying a few cents, it's my own doing. 

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 1/1/2010 11:16 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

No need to send extra postage. Stamps are available from the USPS by mail from their website.

Typical SwapaCD recommended wrapped disc with minimal artwork = $0.81 = $0.64 (Dolphin) + 0.17 (Big Horn)

If it goes over two ounces (but not over three) = $0.98 = 1 dolphin + 2 big horns

Buy a sheet of dolphins and a sheet of big horns and you'll be set for awhile.

Using stamps saves a trip to the post office as well. And no lectures from an ignorant postal employee.

Need a scale? I got mine from an eBay seller for around $13.50 A brief look just now shows one that looks pretty close to mine for $7.49 with Buy It Now. I just checked my scale for accuracy yesterday. It's only off by 0.05 ounce - close enough that nobody is going to bother with it.

Last Edited on: 1/1/10 11:27 AM ET - Total times edited: 3
katsb (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 1/21/2010 10:46 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I had to argue with my post office for half an hour before they charged me the lesser amount.  I suggest you bring usps website documentation showing exactly why it should be the 81 cents instead.  Even then the employees at my branch were so dense they argued among themselves for half an hour until the manager got mad and told them just to give it to me.

KatlynAva (Kat D.)

Date Posted: 1/21/2010 6:16 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

OMG. Today, I tried explaining that it wouldn't be 1.56. But they kept insisting that it was a parcel. They said "You can bend a letter, you can't bend a parcel" and tried breaking one of my cd's in half to show me that it's not bendable. I was furious with them. I didn't mail them yet, because if I was expecting to pay under a dollar, and now I have to pay at least 50 cents more, no thanks. Assholes.

Also, I was thinking about just getting stamps and mailing them from home, but I'm afraid the post office will mark "insufficient postage" and make the reciever pay.

Last Edited on: 1/22/10 12:33 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 1/22/2010 9:13 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

"Also, I was thinking about just getting stamps and mailing them from home, but I'm afraid the post office will mark "insufficient postage" and make the reciever pay."

Valid concern. But this very rarely happens. Just make sure that the package says "NON-MACHINABLE" in big bold letters, and that you have enough postage to cover any additional ounces over three. Under three ounces is $0.81. Each additional ounce is another $0.17.

I use stamps all the time. The only time I go to the post office is to buy more stamps. But you can order stamps through the mail, too.

I send my discs in special CD mailer boxes which are thicker than 1/4". It costs $1.56 but I've never heard of a disc breaking while shipped in one of those boxes. Here's what they look like: http://www.uline.com/BL_1451/CD-Jewel-Case-Mailers-Corrugated?keywords=CD%20mailer

Last Edited on: 1/22/10 9:14 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
capybara (Bill E.)

Date Posted: 1/22/2010 2:26 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I've done some experimenting and here's what I've settled on for shipping single CDs.  I use very thin corrugated cardboard.  The priority boxes that the Post Office gives out are a perfect example, but I'm not suggesting that you actually use Post Office priority boxes, as that would probably be illegal or naughty.  Cut two pieces with OPPOSING grain, i.e., one with vertical corrugations and one with horizontal.  Then ship it in the standard Swapa mailer. Only 98 cents, extremely rugged, and stays within 1/4 inch if the artwork is not thick.    Repeat:  thin cardboard, opposing grain.

DennisM (Dennis M.)

Date Posted: 1/23/2010 2:16 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Bill,  great idea about opposing corrugations.  Makes since.  Cardboard does tend to bend easily in one direction and resist in the opposite direction.   I will use this method from now on.  Thanks!

Last Edited on: 1/23/10 2:18 PM ET - Total times edited: 1