Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Jewel case?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
dcook (Donald S.)

Subject: Jewel case?
Date Posted: 11/28/2009 6:00 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

What is a jewel case? Is it the hinged plastic covering that the CD comes in? Do you ship just the CD and paper front and back covers?  (new member)   Thank you

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 11/28/2009 7:25 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Question 1; YES

Question 2: Post what you have.....just CD.....or CD with art (front and back covers)

The requestor will ask for what they want......CD only or  CD with art

Members may request CD only to insure they get the music but if you have art, always include it. 

Advertisement (Bret H.)

Date Posted: 11/29/2009 1:58 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

It is up to you whether or not to include the case.  The weight of the case increases the postage, and being rather brittle  they are prone to breaking, so many people don't consider it worthwhile to send the case.

Brian P.

Subject: eh?
Date Posted: 2/17/2010 8:41 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

How would you store this CD then without a case? What good is art work with no case to put it in? Pls help I have a topic about this elsewhere too I am trying to get answered. I just never would think to not have and send the case. Sounds rather cheap not to - imo anyway. - Better a broken case than no case too - also imo.

Keerayduh (Steve L.)

Date Posted: 2/18/2010 3:26 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Brian,

Many people do ship in cases - but many don't.   You can buy a new case for 25 cents or so (more if you only buy a few) either online or at places like Staples, Discount stores like the old NWR or Best Buy.   It can add 51 cents to the cost of shipping to send an old case.

If you pick up a package of 10 or 12 new cases (however they come) you'll be set for the instances where you receive your cds in either cracked cases or with no cases at all.

Regards,   Steve :)

Robyn S.

Subject: Here's one reason
Date Posted: 2/18/2010 8:15 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

About a year ago I decided that I no longer wanted to devote the space to storing all my CDs in their cases. I've purchased longish rectangular cases in which to store my CDs and their inserts and I love the fact that they now take up so little room. I've imported all the music I like and want to keep into iTunes and am holding onto the actual disc as insurance against a computer crash. So that's one reason why people don't want the cases and why I, personally, don't ship with them.

I'll echo the comment that people will often request CD without the inserts because they ultimately want the music and asking for just the disc often gets you the music faster. But if you have the inserts and would otherwise throw them away after you've mailed the disc, I'd recommend that you send them as well. I only request the discs, but am always pleased to get the inserts as well.

deutschrock (Angelika T.)

Date Posted: 2/19/2010 9:12 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

As a newbie trader I sent out my first CDs with the Jewel Case and was very disappointed when I received the CDs without the Jewel Case.

I actually had to re-read the guidelines which said it was okay to send without the Jewel Case.

After I received all CD's without the Jewel Case I had to start sending my CDs without it.  Just to make sure that I have cases for the CDs I receive.

Is there a way to put on a requester condition (RC) saying: " Please send me the CD with Jewel Case. Thank you!".

Is that possible to do or would I get turned down all the time.

Your thoughts?

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 2/19/2010 1:28 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I think it would be fine to send a Personal Message to the sender, asking if they would send the jewel case along too.  Although I usually don't send one, I would be glad to, if asked.

deutschrock (Angelika T.)

Date Posted: 2/19/2010 2:07 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks Daniel for the tip.  Also your advice on the other thread about buying a pack of empty jewel cases.  I will check out Target the next time I am there.

JazzMasterDeluxe (Justin L.)

Date Posted: 4/3/2010 2:38 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Just keep your cases and then when you receive CD's without cases, then you will have cases for these CD's.  I joined 2 weeks ago and sent out about 20 CD's -- all with cases.  To my noob displeasure, all the CD's I ordered came to me caseless, except for one or 2.

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 4/3/2010 10:28 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hi Justin,

That's quite a recommendation for what must be a very cool tower!  :^)

I never thought of it that way -- that a new person could, in good faith, send out so many CDs with cases only to find it's not common to RECEIVE cases.  Hope you're not too aggravated, and still have that cool tower up for trade...

ICBERRY

Zelda777 (Nancy G.)

Subject: Supply and demand....
Date Posted: 4/23/2010 9:34 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I sent out jewel cases in the beginning, but then received CDs without.  Now I just send CDs out without the jewel cases and my supply of jewel cases stays about the same.  But sometimes I send out the jewel cases, cause it's late in the evening and it's just easier to throw the whole thing in an envelope and mail it out.