Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Front insert = liner notes, right?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
adamshock (Adam S.)

Subject: Front insert = liner notes, right?
Date Posted: 8/9/2009 1:34 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I always request front and back insert.  The last CD I recieved was missing the liner notes, which are really important to me and they are the reason I request both front and back inserts.  The CD did come in the original packaging (which was not a jewl case, but rather one whole piece of cardboard including front and back cover.  I'm sure there is a name for this type of packaging, but I don't know what it is).  Anyway, there is a pocket for the liner notes, but they were not included.  Since I did receive the "front cover" and "back cover" of the CD, does that mean I got what I requested?  How do I specifically request liner notes when requesting a CD if the front insert doesn't refer to that? 

Anyway, the CD plays great, but I just wanted to know if I should file a complaint/say there was a problem or if it is normal to not recieve the liner notes even though you request both front and back inserts.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 8/10/2009 2:05 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Hello Adam,
I've seen that kind of packaging referred to here as a "digipak", I think.... If a booklet was part of the original packaging for the CD, then common practice here is to expect it would be considered as a "front insert". Regardless of the fact that the "front cover" of a digipak is de facto "included" -- if there was supposed to be a booklet, it isn't out of line to expect it if front insert/back insert were listed. Others may have different takes on it, but that's what I think is common practice there.

Now, having said that -- it's good to remember it's very likely people just pass along a CD as received/listed when THEY got it, and when it comes to what was actually included when the digipak CD was brand new -- may not look as carefully as they should. It's not always obvious that a thing is missing. Certainly it's more obvious with a jewelcase.

I have a similar situation right now with Aphex Twin's "Windowlicker" because it was LISTED as complete, but when I went to play it, I looked more closely and saw it was supposed to have a booklet in addition to a single-sheet front insert. Too late for me: I marked it okay, but now that i want to re-list it -- in good conscience, have to say it's "missing" the front insert (that booklet) so now my listing makes it look like it has NOTHING in the front.

I say drop a PM to the trader about the missing insert, wait for a response then if you get it, problem solved. If you don't, then mark as your conscience dictates. And as for filling in missing art -- have you seen this site? http://www.mega-search.net/
adamshock (Adam S.)

Date Posted: 8/11/2009 8:02 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks for your input.  I have sent a PM.  Apparantly she never had the liner notes.  I'm dissappointed, but I think I'll just let it slide and not report any kind of problem.

scotso (Scott C.)

Date Posted: 8/17/2009 6:56 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

i would like input from the site on this, i have several box sets, that i want to post, with the cds and inserts, but not with the box and booklet, and not sure about how to post it.  This seems to be along the same lines.

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 8/17/2009 9:41 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Ouch, Scott -- that's a tough one. You know, there's probably some room here for an authoritative source on what constitutes a "complete" listing for sets. How are we supposed to really know if what we have is complete? At this point, my own opinion is if you have boxes and front and back inserts but a vague suspicion there may have been more, then list it as front/back insert then PM your trader and tell that person what you have, with the option to cancel if they have expectations of something you never realized was supposed to be included. Many people are just glad to get the set at all. Seems a shame not to post a decent set... Let's hope for Team input on this one.
bossajake (Patrick J.)

Date Posted: 8/18/2009 2:39 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

hey all, i just received a 3 cd set i have been waiting for many months - the big bang! - it's a percussionists dream come true :)

i waited for months for the complete set with all the stuff and what i got was the 3 discs, the 3 front and back inserts and the liner notes but not the box (cardboard i think) that all the stuff goes in - i guess i'll have to rubberband all that stuff together and put it on my cd shelf  :(

i marked it as ok since it did have the front and back art for 3 jewel cases and did have the liner notes which are extensive in this case but the missing box left me feeling a bit jipped

with regards to adams original question - i have purchased many digipack style cds which had a space in the front of the case for liner notes but i don't think they always come with liner notes just because there is a space for them there - but i'm not sure of that.  if he knows that it did originally come with liner notes and they were missing i would mark it as missing something.  i believe both parties get their credit, adam gets to keep his partial cd set and the site just makes a note of the missing part in case it becomes a pattern - no biggie i don't think

anyone got the cardboard box for the big bang! 3 cd set?  :)

patrick   bossajake

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 8/18/2009 11:31 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Oh boy, Patrick -- similar situation here -- got a huge 8 disc set of John Adams stuff, wonderful -- all posted together and all in strange little slimline cases: you just KNOW there was a box that held them all.  What can ya do?  I really would rather have the CDs than not have them listed, and I feel for the trader who cares not a jot for John Adams and if he had a box or no. 

Didn't know you were a percussion fan!  Me too -- anything you can bang on, oh yeah.   [makes mental note..]

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 8/18/2009 7:48 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

In the case of a missing box, you could send a PM to the trader asking if they still had the box and offer to pay the cost of mailing it.

bossajake (Patrick J.)

Date Posted: 8/20/2009 3:46 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

here's another similar issue.

i recently ordered an extra copy of buena vista social club to give to a friend.  i received the front art, tray art and disc but the liner notes booklet and the cardboard sleeve that slips over the plastic jewel case were missing.  so is this instance complete or incomplete?  i say incomplete but the problem is if the sender only had the pieces he sent me the upc number is on the tray art so how would he know that there even were liner notes and a cardboard sleeve that went over the jewel case?

hmmmm....   what can you do?   patrick    bossajake

ps - by the way, i did pm the sender of the big bang set 2 times and he never even bothered to respond.  i'm still happy with the discs though.  the first time i ordered this set from the site i received the boxed set of 3 cassette tapes instead of the cds.  maybe my cds and liner notes will fit into that cassette box  :)

Last Edited on: 8/20/09 3:48 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
SwapaCDTeam (SwapaCD Team A.)
SwapaCD Team

Date Posted: 8/27/2009 12:34 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Our policy regarding what must be included when sending a disc is explained in the Help Center item "Is my CD okay to post here?" or "What can be swapped here?". Basically, if the title line in our database mentions any "extra", then they must be included. Otherwise you should not assume that they will be included.

Regarding Digipaks, the actual cardboard case is what we consider the front and back inserts. If there were liner notes as well, they should obviously be included. But as mentioned above, just because there is a space for liner notes in the Digipak does not necessarily mean that it originally came with them. If you have any doubt when posting a Digipak, just post it as Disc Only to be safe.

Another reminder-- for anyone who PMs the requestor/sender before mailing out a CD with additional information, always remember this rule:

If the sender cancels, the CD is removed from the system and the requestor is returned to his original position in line on the Wish List.

If the requestor cancels, the requestor loses his place in line on the Wish List and the sender has their CD passed on to the next member or returned to the front of the queue.

So if the CD was posted correctly and the requestor decides they do not want it for whatever reason, the REQUESTOR should cancel. If the CD was not posted correctly and the requestor does not want the CD for that reason, the SENDER should cancel.

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 8/27/2009 12:46 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Related question to the SwapaCD team:

On two recent occasions, I have sent a PM to a requestor informing them of questionable condition of a disc.  In both cases, they declined the trade.  I said okay and suggested they cancel.  In both cases, they said they could not cancel on their end and that I had to do it.  So I did.  I'm beginning to think my generosity is biting me in the ass.  My question:  Was it not true that the requestor could not cancel?

Last Edited on: 8/27/09 12:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
SwapaCDTeam (SwapaCD Team A.)
SwapaCD Team

Date Posted: 8/28/2009 11:41 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

A requesting member can only cancel up until the time the sender prints the wrapper. Once the wrapper is printed, only the sender can cancel (since they may have paid postage and it would not be fair for them to lose out on that).

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 9/6/2009 1:58 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hello Team -- thanks -- that is really useful info.  I wonder if it could be posted as a reminder in some sort of "permanent" location, for example as an FAQ about "who should cancel?" ?