Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: 2 Disc Sets Only Worth 1 Credit

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
joanana (Joana R.)

Subject: 2 Disc Sets Only Worth 1 Credit
Date Posted: 5/1/2008 7:46 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I mean seriously, what's up with that? At Swap a DVD a dvd that has two discs is worth, 2 credits. Clearly a cd that comes with multiple discs is worth more than 1 credit, the value applied to an album with only 1 cd.  To top it off, it's very irksome to see that message "this cd contains two discs, you are expected to mail both discs but will receive only 1 credit."  I noticed that all of my two disc sets are only 1 credit each. Needless to say, I pulled them.

Why is this done? It's hardly fair or balanced.

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 5/1/2008 8:29 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

From the Help Center: How To Post A CD

Posting a CD to your Tower is very easy.

Before you Post, please note:

• Your CDs must be the original discs.
    • Posting burned copies of CDs is not permitted.
    • Posting a burned copy of a CD will jeopardize your membership at SwapaCD.
  • Your CDs must be playable to be posted.
  • Your CDs must be posted so that the title, artist and track list match the listing on your Tower.
  • All CDs at SwapaCD are valued at 1 credit--this includes multi-disc CDs and boxed sets.

Eyesore (Kenneth W.)

Date Posted: 5/1/2008 8:34 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

They said that the upcoming update to the site will fix this issue. Each CD will be worth 1 credit.

I always send an extra credit to those who send me a double disc.

joanana (Joana R.)

Date Posted: 5/1/2008 8:34 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

*rolls eyes* that doesn't explain the WHY behind it. I would very much like to know the logic behind such an action. As I mentioned, it's hardly fair or balanced.

ETA: Thanks Eyesore. I hope they roll out this update soon then, because until then I'll be trying my luck selling the sets on Amazon or Ebay.

Last Edited on: 5/1/08 8:36 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Classicana (Anna B.)

Date Posted: 5/2/2008 1:58 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I can't tell you how or why they originally developed that rule, but I have two sets that only have two or three tracks on the 2nd cd - lasting less than 30 mins.    That hardly seems worth a 2nd credit...

RadioActive (Dennis B.)

Date Posted: 5/2/2008 4:40 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I've heard the opposite complaint on SwapaDVD - "why do I have to pay 2 credits when the bonus disc is stuff I'll never watch"?

Typically, 2 disc sets (CD or DVD) don't cost twice as much in the store as a single disc.  Therefore, someone is going to be unhappy no matter which way they go.   They tried one way with the CD site and the opposite way with the DVD site. 

iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 5/2/2008 5:43 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Last Edited on: 5/2/08 5:44 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
FolkRockFan (Sarah B.)

Date Posted: 5/4/2008 1:40 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Well...a two-disc set might not necessarily be worth two credits to some people. But when the change comes, we WILL see more people offering box sets. To me, for example, my Simon & Garfunkel three-disc box set is worth more than one credit. And I'm sure that a happy SACD member would give three credits for it. So...that's why I'm looking forward to the change. Three-disc, four-disc, et cetera sets should be easier to find here then. :)

RadioActive (Dennis B.)

Date Posted: 5/4/2008 6:54 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Last Edited on: 5/4/08 8:41 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
drillo (Larry D.)

Subject: 2 disc set
Date Posted: 5/18/2008 2:38 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have a 5 disc set that they said is only worth one credit.  An interested party feels they will break SWAP CD rules if they buddy me another 4 credits for the set.  What rules are you breaking for buddying  credits to get a multiple CD set ??

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 5/18/2008 6:43 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I guess you would only be breaking the rules if you ask for more than one credit for each UPC. You just can't post the set and require a credit for each disc.

from the rules:

How do I post my 'boxed set' of CDs?

If each of the CDs bears a unique UPC, you can post each as a separate entity
  • this way, you will earn a credit for each.

If the "box" holding the boxed set bears a UPC, you can post with that number, BUT

• this way, you will earn only ONE credit for the SET.

There is not a way to post the CDs by UPC individually yet require one member to take all of them and award you all of the credits.

so if you have found someone who will buddy you extra credits that may not technically violate any rules but it would certainly violate the spirit of this site. Even more so if that set is on another member's wish list.

If you make your deal through the Bazaar forum and the set is postable and wishlisted it does violate the rules as stated here:

There are a few rules that must be followed to post in the Bazaar. Breaking these rules may result in suspension of forum privileges or expulsion from the club.

• No copied discs are permitted for swapping anywhere on SwapaCD.  This is a rule; it is also the law.  Offering a copied/burned CD  in the Bazaar will cause expulsion from the club.
  • In the CD Bazaar, each member may start a maximum of 2 topics per day, and may "bump" a topic only once per day (not the same day that the topic was started).  This is a rule.
    • Do not continue to "bump" your older topics to the front page if you have any listings there already.
    • Combine your listings! Any more than 2 on the front page from the same member will cause all of your listings to be deleted.
    • This is to permit everyone to have a chance to have their topic appear on the front page for a while, and not be "crowded out" by one relentless poster.
  • You are NOT ALLOWED to offer a member something from their Wish List in exchange for sending something off your Wish List.  This is a rule.
  • You are NOT ALLOWED to bypass our whole request process by making 1-for-1 deals with POSTABLE CDs.  This is a rule.
  • Only music discs (CDs) may be offered in the CD Bazaar.   This is a rule.
  • You cannot ask or offer more than the "SwapaCD price" (1 credit ) at any time.  This is a rule.
  • Topics advertising your CDs must be confined to the CD Bazaar.  This is a rule.
  • Members must be courteous and respectful to one another. This is a rule.
  • Fraudulent offerings will not be tolerated and will result in expulsion from the club as well as possible legal action.

You can always wait until the system changes to accepting boxed sets with a credit earned for each disc.

Last Edited on: 5/18/08 6:44 PM ET - Total times edited: 1