Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Will DC ever be offered here?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
mayqueene (Kristina W.)

Subject: Will DC ever be offered here?
Date Posted: 10/21/2006 2:12 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Just curious...I really love using it at PBS and I just wonder if it is in the works for this site too?
Classicana (Anna B.)

Date Posted: 10/22/2006 9:07 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I think the reason that it isn't offered here has to do with First Class Mail - in order to use dc with First Class, the package has to be 3/4" thick. Unless you use bubblewrap, even the case doesn't make it thick enough. I DO use bubblewrap, and then use the custom dc feature @ PBS - of course, it does NOT have FRAGILE printed on it.
conrad777 (CONRAD S.)

Subject: dc?
Date Posted: 3/3/2007 5:50 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
what does/is DC?
Classicana (Anna B.)

Date Posted: 3/3/2007 11:14 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
DC is delivery confirmation. It is an extra postal service with a bar code on the label, the postal carrier scans the bar code when the pkg is delivered. It's used a lot on our sister site, PaperBackSwap - then if someone forgets to mark a package received, you have proof that it was delivered.
Advertisement (Bret H.)

Date Posted: 3/8/2007 6:17 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Although, ahem, DC isn't proof that it was delivered to the right person or address. I've had a few cases where DC packages were delivered to neighbors. But it works quite well as proof that you did send a package on about the right day to the right place, and that it at least arrived at the post office in that location. For proof of actual delivery to the right person/place, you pretty much have to go with signature required.
Classicana (Anna B.)

Date Posted: 3/9/2007 9:47 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Yes, you're right, Bret. I should have put 'delivered - somewhere'. However, I've used dc for years - probably in excess of 300 times and haven't had any mis-delivered, as far as I know. I did have one that was completely lost (or eaten by a sorting machine) after it was scanned by my PO, but that's a pretty good record for USPS.