Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Packaging back cover cover

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Martin B.

Subject: Packaging back cover cover
Date Posted: 12/28/2007 2:45 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I   was wondering how exactly I should go about wrapping the package when back cover is included.  The back one is substantially wider.

Reno-ness (Steve S.)

Subject: Think
Date Posted: 12/28/2007 6:25 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Include a piece of stiff cardboard with the package, about the same size as the Back Cover Art. If you're not protecting the CD in any other way, this will increase the likelihood that your disc arrives safely.

Send them like you want to receive them.

Love and peace!

Martin B.

Date Posted: 12/28/2007 10:15 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Duh. Thanks for the suggestion.  I made the cardboard about the size of the front cover (and the size of the rectangle on the SACD wrapper). 

selkie (C.M P.)

Date Posted: 1/2/2008 11:55 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Why not leave it in the jewel case & ship it that way? It seems to me it would be a lot easier that way.

Kerensky97 (Dustin B.)

Date Posted: 1/2/2008 2:21 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

That could work but the jewel cases are more brittle than the disc and art, they could get cracked and shattered where the disc would have flexed it's way through.

However Jewelcase+Bubblewrap+bubble envelope is the way alot of online CD stores ship, you just have to be willing to swallow the extra weight shipping costs.

sheryl (Sheryl D.)

Date Posted: 1/2/2008 7:27 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Whatever you choose to do, I would advise to not fold the back insert, and to pack it with something firm enough to prevent it from being bent and/or shredded in the mail (such as boxboard, cardboard, etc.)

I'm someone who hates the wrapper (have never been a fan of the wrapper, from the early days of PBS, and never use it my swaps). I'm always appreciative when I get jewel case + bubble envelope. For a single CD, that typically costs $1.81 (the same price to ship a DVD on SwapaDVD). I understand people might not want to part with their jewel cases, however, since they can't depend on getting any in return. Clamshells are a nice alternative.

kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 1/3/2008 2:01 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

If you are sending in the case, one way to really help prevent the case being damaged is to put a small piece of bubble wrap inside the case across the center of the CD.

Personally, I mail in a cardboard sleeve.  I see no reason to spend double the postage to get something to someone.  I did buy the sleeves for my convienence (taking too much time to cut up cereal boxes, though they certainly worked), but they are cheaper than envelopes or clamshells and thin enough to keep me on the cheap shipping.

Kerensky97 (Dustin B.)

Date Posted: 1/3/2008 2:32 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm not sure what other people are paying but here's my setup/costs.

CD in an clamshell, then wrapped up in the first layer of paper with the art as per SwapaCD directions.  Then put into a bubble wrap mailer with the shipping label cut out and taped to the front.

Shipping cost is $1.14 (about $1.50 for digipaks).  The bubble mailers were about $8 for 10 (DVD size, there were no CD ones) at Office Max and clamshells are lala leftovers.

Still pretty cheap in my opinion, the only trouble is going to the post office to pay and ship.  Now that I've got the prices down I may just start printing stamps at home to save a weekly trip.  Especially since the "Automated Postal Center" is almost always busy or down for maintainance.

kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 1/5/2008 2:07 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

If you have a Sam's Club near you, their bubble mailers are the cheapest I've found.