Discussion Forums - Children's Music

Topic: Anyone out there? Looking for music to dance to with my 3 ye

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Wendy N.

Subject: Anyone out there? Looking for music to dance to with my 3 ye
Date Posted: 8/23/2006 2:25 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I looked up a couple of CDs but it doesn't seem that there is a lot of childrens CDs yet.
I got the following suggestions from another blog. Anyone have other suggestions, please pass them on, especially adult CDs. My daughter loves to dance to the soundtrack of RAY. I don't have a ton of CDs and am not sure what else she'll like.

Here's some artists and CDs that were recommended:

Laurie Berkner
Justin Roberts
Steve Dreher
Veggie Tales
Dan Zanes: "Family Dance" or "House Party"
Ralph's World, Happy Lemons
The Doodlebops
Greg & Steve,
Little People "Things That Go",
"Giants' ABC's" by They Might Be Giants
Little Einsteins "Musical Missions" is a favorite request also.
wunderkind (Meagan K.)

Date Posted: 8/23/2006 5:58 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
How about Raffi?

Last Edited on: 8/23/06 5:58 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Loretta D.

Subject: Dancing with Kids
Date Posted: 8/25/2006 12:26 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I always liked dancing with my son to Jimmy Buffet and Van Morrison.

cool
vprosser (Valerie P.)

Date Posted: 8/27/2006 9:41 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I have boys ages 18 mos, 3.5 and 5. The two big ones love the Veggie Tales cd's (which are catchy), and they really love Laurie Berkner's stuff, We Are the Dinosaurs in particular. I also enjoy her songs. They are not too babyish and have both new stuff and old stuff that I remember from my childhood. I bought the Playhouse Disney one with songs from the cartoons, but they don't really care for that very much. Wiggles were a hit for awhile, but not long. Good luck & have fun dancing!

ETA: That Laurie Berkner cd my kids adore is actually called Whaddya Think of That, but they just call it the Dinosaur song lol.

Last Edited on: 8/28/06 10:52 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Joel and Robin A.

Subject: They don't know it's kids music.
Date Posted: 8/28/2006 8:23 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
One thing to keep in mind: your kids don't know yet what is kid's music and what isn't. My son's favorite CD from age 0-4 was a collection of Asian electronica/world music (Asian Travels). So if you like it, play it, and your kids may like it too.

But he also is a big fan of most of the artists named above. Schoolhouse Rock is another good one, too.
Wendy N.

Date Posted: 8/29/2006 4:32 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Thanks for the input. I actually have the Asian Travels CD so I'll try it.
Any other adult suggestions? I totally forgot about Van Morrison. As far as Laurie Berkner....everyone recommends her. I can't afford new music (on a very tight budget) so I was hoping to get some swapped here but maybe it's too new yet.

Thanks,
Wendy
vprosser (Valerie P.)

Date Posted: 8/29/2006 9:37 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
What about disco? Or maybe you're too young to remember lol. I find oldies are more fun to dance to with kids. Think songs they play at wedding receptions...that kind of stuff.
booklover33 (Barbara B.)

Date Posted: 2/7/2007 2:09 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
The Sandra Boynton books with CD's (I guess you would have to look for these on PBS) like DOG TRAIN, PHILADELPHIA CHICKENS, and a few others are really fun to dance to. Kohl's was selling these for $5 new in January, I'm not sure if they still have them.
tygrtygr (Angelica B.)

Date Posted: 3/30/2007 8:23 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Trout Fishing In America!
I know, it sounds weird, but it's really a couple of guys who had a KPBS special.
(the TV kind, not our sister site)
"My hair had a party last night"
"18 wheels on a bigrig"
"Pico de Gallo"
a great CD!
MeghanR (Meghan R.)

Date Posted: 4/20/2007 12:07 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Check your local library. Ours has a great kids music CD collection. Good chance for you to try out some you might want to buy.
hannahgobanana (Hannah W.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2007 10:09 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I have the Shrek Soundtrack, and a bunch of Aaron Carter CD's.
Budgie (Raef N.)

Date Posted: 7/13/2007 1:24 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

BEATLES, BEATLES, BEATLES.

My 2 year old loves singing to Beatles tunes like Yellow Submarine and Obla-Di-Obla-Da.

Still have to discover all the others he loves by them.

Destructa (Jax M.)

Date Posted: 8/3/2007 1:12 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

When I was little (under 5), my favorite songs were:

Rockit by Herbie Hancock

Walk of Life by Dire Straits

I Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode

My dad liked new wave; you couldn't stop me dancing and hopping around, lol!

Patty B.

Date Posted: 8/29/2007 12:33 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I am in charge of playing music for camps grades 2-6 and I know that there is one song that kids of all ages love to dance to. It's called "Molly on a Trolley" and it's on a CD called "Get down with the Clown". It is a very good CD and the kids just love it. I play it at my church for the kids sometimes, and every kid in the room starts dancing when it starts playing. It's very fun and I would really recommend it.

bethhawse (Beth H.)

Subject: Roger Day
Date Posted: 11/24/2008 10:56 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

If you have not checked out this guys talent, you need to do so.  He started out as a folk performer.  I first heard him in college when he was doing the whole college circuit.  But now it is all for kids.  He has cds and dvds of his performances and guess what of the kids dancing all over the place.  I think I might even have a couple of cds in my tower but he has a great website too!

JW (John W.)

Subject: 30 Preschool Songs by The Countdown Kids
Date Posted: 3/27/2009 6:09 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have 4 CDs that my kids have enjoyed that are mostly classic sing-along stuff.  If you are interested let me know.