Discussion Forums - Alternative Rock

Topic: 10 Great CDs from Matador Records currently available

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
noizemonger (Brad L.)

Subject: 10 Great CDs from Matador Records currently available
Date Posted: 5/19/2021 9:22 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Matador Records is one of my all-time favorite record labels. They've specialized in "indie rock" since the early 90s and I've always made a point to check out anything they release. The following titles are all available (with full artwork) at the time of posting (none are from my tower) and are all in my personal collection. Get 'em while you can!

10. The Double - Loose in the Air  RIYL: Animal Collective, the NY/Brooklyn Scene

9. Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville RIYL: Ladies with guitars, song by song responses to the Rolling Stones

8. Slug - The Out Sound  RIYL: early Sonic Youth, Swans, Unsane, bands with 3 bass players

7. Love of Diagrams - Love of Diagrams (just an EP, but still worth it)  RIYL: The Slits, Gang of Four, Pylon, post-punk in general

6. Arab Strap - The Week Never Starts Around Here  RIYL: depressed Scots, drum machines

5. Cat Power - The Greatest  RIYL: Sad women with great voices and lyrics, people that pronounce "Chan" shawn

4. Stephen Malkmus - Stephen Malkmus  RIYL: Pavement, brainy but catchy lyrics

3. Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister  RIYL: Donovan, a more happy Nick Drake, "twee" pop, wearing sweaters & reading books

2. Interpol - Antics  RIYL: Joy Division, The Cure, wearing black eyeliner

1. Arab Strap - The Red Thread  RIYL: still depressed Scots, but now with less drum machines

There are also 2 great Matador multidisc compilations currently available (What's Up Matador & Everything Is Nice) that give a nice overview of the label and might expose you to something new!

Last Edited on: 5/20/21 9:58 PM ET - Total times edited: 4
noizemonger (Brad L.)

Date Posted: 5/23/2021 9:14 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I just noticed that Belle & Sebastian's The Boy With the Arab Strap is also currently available with full art. It's my favorite Belle & Sebastian album and someone should order it right away!