Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: CD Jewel Cases

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Subject: CD Jewel Cases
Date Posted: 3/11/2021 9:43 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I need to buy some CD Jewel Cases.

Any recommendations? 

I am checking Amazon and Walmart.  

markg731 (Mark G.)

Date Posted: 3/11/2021 10:45 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

You can't go wrong with either of these deals:

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Standard-CD-Jewel-Case-24-Pack/product_390178

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Standard-10-4-mm-Jewel-Case-Single-CD-DVD-Disc-Storage-Assembled-Black-Tray/254238084564

MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Date Posted: 3/11/2021 11:28 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Mark, Staples 24 pk for $9.99 sounds like a good deal.

I found a 25  pack on Amazon for $18.99 with good reviews but I like your deal better.

Thank you!

Is there a trick to opening the back portion of the case to insert the back insert?

I always have trouble taking apart a jewel case.

I

markg731 (Mark G.)

Date Posted: 3/25/2021 2:10 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

It takes a bit of practice, but once you get the sweet spot, it becomes second nature.

1. Open the top of the jewel case (just like you would to take out or replace a CD). Hold the opened case in your left hand, with your left thumb on top of, and towards the bottom of, the inner tray (the part you remove). Your other fingers should be resting on the back of the jewel case. This is kind of like holding a paperback book with your left hand.

2. With your right hand, place your right index finger about a third of the way down the rear of the case, close to the spine. Place your right thumb on the top edge close to the hinge. You will not be touching the center tray; your thumb should be touching the back part of the case. Simultaneously push both index fingers toward you and your thumbs away from you and the top left corner of the inner tray should pop out. Once that happens, you should be able to carefully work the inner tray out (SLOWLY).

3. Sometimes the top right corner doesn't want to pop out. If this happens, repeat the pushing motion but move your right finger and thumb to the top right of the jewel case. It should pop out easily.

Hope this helps.

Mark

MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Date Posted: 3/27/2021 7:05 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks Mark, 

I had to replace about 50 broken cd cases and put loose cd's in cases. I had to figure out the trick quick to restore order to my cd collection. 

After  few times I got the hang of it. 

I rested the open case on my lap and pressed/pulled the top left and same with top right. Then the tray came out and I replaced them quickly. 

I had a 3 year backlog of cd's to import into iTunes. I think it was about 90 Cd's. 

Now everything is up to date and on my ipod. 

Last Edited on: 3/27/21 7:10 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
ducky (David O.)

Subject: CD/DVD Cases
Date Posted: 7/31/2021 7:19 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

MicroCenter.com has 50 packs of the 10mm cases for $12.99

Nice if you happen to be near a MicroCenter

WareW01f (Chris G.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2023 10:54 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I worked for a large company in the early 2000's. At one point they were tossing boxes and boxes of promo DVDs in normal CD cases. I grabbed a bunch of boxes. (100's of cases. Full thickness, clear slims and slims with black backs.) The funny bit was at the time, I asked a bunch of folks if they needed cases (to swag how many boxes I should snag... we are talking pallets here) everyone was like "no, I'm good". I grabbed like 7 cases. Sure enough though, folks started calling me up a bit later sheepishly asking "you don't still happen to have any of those cases... do you?"

I've always bought most of my discs used and so it was a nice upgrade to go through the collection and swap out the cloudy/scratched/cracked cases. The only issue I found was there was some variance with the 'full clear' and the 'clear with black' cases and the back art shapes. 

irishmasms (Irish M.)

Date Posted: 6/4/2023 9:44 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

If someone needs jewel caes hit me up 

MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Date Posted: 6/5/2023 7:13 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I think later that year after my original post I donated about 50 CD's.

I imported my backlog of CD's to iTunes and then to my iPod.

I went through my collection and made everything fit my available storage.

I painstakingly gathered the CD's in broken cases and switched cases with the 50 I donated.  

This was and intensive process and I thought I was going to lose my mind.

The results were satisfying and know all my music is in the library and CD's are in alpha order. 

I know if I had more space I would not have donated anything but

this is the way.