Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Promo Copies

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Subject: Promo Copies
Date Posted: 3/9/2021 9:07 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Promo Copies

I am going thru a crate of CD's and importing them to iTunes and then my iPod and maybe my Ipad.

I noticed one CD I got from SwapaCD is a promo copy. 

I found out the good news is promo copies are allowed on SwapaCD.

https://www.swapacd.com/help/search.php?terms=promo+copy

Promo CDs are now swappable A recent Federal District Court decision has determined that promotional CDs are covered by the first-sale doctrine. This basically means that once the record companies give promos away, the new owners have the right to transfer (i.e., swap, give or sell) them without permission from the record companies. Please note that if the promo was released on CD-R format, it is still NOT POSTABLE!

Rules for posting a promotional CD are exactly the same as for posting regular CDs. If the promo has an UPC code (it probably doesn't), list it by UPC. Otherwise, you may post them by locating the exact TitleArtist, and Track Listing in our database and posting from that page.

• If the track listing differs, even by one song, you cannot post the CD
  • Do not report promotional discs as wrong or damaged
  • Burned promos are NOT allowed, regardless of the source. Please note that if the promo was released on CD-R format, it is still NOT POSTABLE!
  • The artwork for a Promo release is often not complete or different from the artwork for the "official" release. Please post your promo discs as "Disc Only" unless you are positive that the artwork is the same as the "official" release. If you are requesting a CD with both inserts required and you receive a Promo with insufficient artwork, you may mark it 'recieved with a problem' and then indicate that the required inserts were missing.

Just like with regular CDs, it is still illegal to make or keep copies (on a blank CD, an iPod®, your computer, etc.) if you will no longer have the original CD. SwapaCD strictly adheres to copyright laws and all members are bound to do so not only by the site's Terms of Use, but also by the law. We certainly don't want to take money out of the pockets of artists that bring us so much listening pleasure.