Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: USPS Tracking: Status Not Available

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
mpt68 (Wade K.)

Subject: USPS Tracking: Status Not Available
Date Posted: 2/11/2021 3:35 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

It seems the tracking no longer works when you click on "details." This has been going on for months, and if you try to enter the number directly into the USPS tracking site this is what you get:

"The tracking number may be incorrect or the status update is not yet available. Please verify your tracking number and try again later."

Anyone found a workaround or solution for this?

mpt68 (Wade K.)

Date Posted: 2/14/2021 9:53 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I must be the only one having an issue with this.surprise

47West63rd (Richard P.)

Date Posted: 2/19/2021 10:21 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm curious about that too. I know the USPS is slow these days, but nothing seems to be working from SaCD. All my other mailings/trackings work. But CDs sent to me and CDs I've sent that I know are delivered are not sowing up with the tracking info provided by this site.

What is the secret to making this work?

mpt68 (Wade K.)

Date Posted: 2/20/2021 1:04 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks for sharing your experience. I thought maybe their was some problem on my end. I may have to contact the admins to see if they know what's going on.

Also, welcome to the site, and thanks for the request!

aglet (Mel C.)

Date Posted: 6/9/2021 4:25 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

@mpt68 You're not the only one. I've been getting this error message on SwapaCD for a long time. For some reason, the tracking number the system generates here is NOT compatible with USPS.com. It's way too many digits for one thing. I've tried manually entering the digits into USPS.com, and that doesn't work either. I don't have this same issue on either PBS or SwapDVD. I thought maybe it was an internal SwapaCD tracking number, but even so, there's no way to see the status of a shipment. Did you ever get an answer when you contacted SwapaCD?

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 6/9/2021 4:58 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

If you ship at the letter rate, the number you get from SwapaCD is not tracked by the USPS.  However, if you ship at the package rate, the number is tracked. 

Quite a long time back, I noticed that the tracking window here on site did not update when it should (that is, when you ship at the package rate).  But it's been working for me for awhile now.

mpt68 (Wade K.)

Date Posted: 6/9/2021 5:15 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Yep, it was my assumption that if a number was generated, as well as a scannable QR code, that it would be tracked. Admin set me straight on that and edited the help docs to make that more clear. Daniel is correct: First Class is not tracked, full stop. Oh well, live and learn.

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 6/11/2021 9:18 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I don't want to create any misunderstanding.  First Class doesn't have anything to do with it.  Mail that is sent at the letter rate is not tracked.  Packages are tracked. 

Using site postage, it is even possible (though unlikely) to send a package as First Class.  By far the majority of packages will go as Media Mail.  But if the cost is low enough, usually when the distance is very short, the package will get First Class postage.  I have seen that happen, although I can't recall if it has happened since the latest rate increase.

mpt68 (Wade K.)

Date Posted: 6/11/2021 11:49 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Yes, I should have specified First Class Letter Rate.