Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Another post about the condition of inserts...

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
markg731 (Mark G.)

Subject: Another post about the condition of inserts...
Date Posted: 2/9/2021 5:32 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Ok, so the CD was posted as Disc, Front & Back inserts. It's a digipak and comes in a simple cardboard sleeve with graphics on front and back. Normally, that would be acceptable for a CD packaged in such a way. However, on the front is sticker damage where someone removed the sticker sealing the CD sleeve, and on the back, there is a piece of the sleeve torn off where the other side of the sticker was. If this was packaged in a jewel case with actual inserts, then both the front and rear inserts would have damage. I know Swap-a-CD couldn't care less about the condition of the inserts, and as long as the CD plays, I have to mark it received with no problems.

So, I guess I've answered my own question...

I really wish there was a way to rate the condition of your inserts and/or members. Personally, I would never post something like this as Disc, Front and Back Inserts. It should have been posted as Disc Only. Swap-a-CD even recommends this, but so few people seem read it. When posting any CD, the following message appears BEFORE you click Post This CD: "Please note: If in doubt about the condition of your front and back inserts (due to water damage, stains, tears, etc.), please select "I only have the Disc" above (even if you are sending the questionable inserts)."

Why is this so hard to understand?

If you're one of those people who don't care about the condition of your inserts, thanks for reading this far. This post is not meant for you and you may go about your day.

Last Edited on: 2/9/21 5:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 2/9/2021 8:09 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have complained about this to the powers that be.  Their response said that if the damage has removed significant information or made it impossible to read the liner notes, then you may mark it received with a problem.  That was a paraphrase, and their actual wording was rather vague.  But I came away with the impression that there is a limit to the amount of damage you have to accept.

One case in point:  If the water damaged pages of the front booklet are so stuck together that you can't read those pages, then you didn't get what you bargained for.

Next time you receive a disc with questionable or objectionable artwork, send a message to the site describing the condition and see what they say.  The thoughtless trader who sent the problem trade will just have to wait for his credit until a judgement has been made.

markg731 (Mark G.)

Date Posted: 2/16/2021 4:22 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

OK, it freaking happened again!!! Requested a Disc, Front and Back Inserts. Another digipack cardboard sleeve CD. However, there is writing all over the back. It doesn't obscure anything, but it's a personal message to someone consisting of 18 handwritten words in black ballpoint ink. Why do people think this is ok?! I would never post this as Disc, Front and Back inserts. And at a minimum, I would contact the requestor to see if they would be ok with writing all over the back... I know expectations are low here, but c'mon!! The disc is badly scuffed too, so maybe I'll get lucky and it won't play.

UPDATE: Well, unfortunately the CD played fine so I have no recourse. I marked it received and left a note to both the seller and Swap-a-CD that, to me, writing all over the inserts is not acceptable, and had I know about the writing, I would not have ordered the CD. Additionally, I will not repost it due to the condition of the CD and the writing on the back cover.

Last Edited on: 3/4/21 8:38 AM ET - Total times edited: 5
Michelle D.

Date Posted: 3/4/2021 8:36 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

If you ordered the disc and front and back inserts, then they only sent the back insert, then you didn't get what you bargained for. But in your cases, they technically sent the insert. I wish that if you can't read the tracklisting on the back, you should be able to mark it received with a problem. But alas, that is not the case.