Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: When is a case not a case?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
djtal (Daniel T.)

Subject: When is a case not a case?
Date Posted: 5/8/2020 1:27 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

When you mark a trade received, there's a place to check whether the sending trader included the case.  If the case that was sent is in such bad condition that all you can do is throw it away, does that still count as having sent a case?  Or is that to be considered as just packing material?

By bad condition, I mean that it is not safe for the disc to be stored there.  I've received cases that actually caused damage to the disc, probably in transit (I did not blame the sender).

markg731 (Mark G.)

Date Posted: 5/8/2020 4:00 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

MOST jewel cases I get through the mail need to be replaced. Even ones I order from retail stores often arrived with cracks or broken spindles.

For me, when marking a CD received, I generally ignore the metadata. However, if you're inclined to fill out the fields when marking a CD received, if a member sent a case, I'd indicate a case was included, no matter how damaged it was.

WareW01f (Chris G.)

Date Posted: 11/27/2020 8:14 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Not seeing a way to indicate on here that a case is a 'cut out'. Is that something that should be indicated some how? The drop down on a disc only has the option for combinations of disc, front back and inserts, but nothing for jewel.

toritime (Jimmy W.)

Date Posted: 11/28/2020 6:19 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Why would you need to indicate if a case is a cut out? Like, why is that important information?

djtal - they're only trying to gather data about what percentage of people ship with a case vs not, I would imagine because they're trying to gage who is paying the basic 85 cent rate vs a higher media mail cost for the ful packaging. They don't care if it's shattered into dust by the time it reaches you (for data gathering purposes).

Last Edited on: 11/28/20 6:20 AM ET - Total times edited: 1