Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: The question about Netflix and why those discs never seem to....

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
icberry (IC B.)

Subject: The question about Netflix and why those discs never seem to....
Date Posted: 1/5/2012 11:24 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I know we've talked about Netflix on and off in other threads -- why their "naked" discs do so well in the mail when CDs get broken even when they're packaged well. 

It's been proposed that Netflix has a business-contract that lets them ship their discs en masse which prevents breakage for some portion of their travels, and it's been suggested that they DO break sometimes but Netflix can absorb the cost of one more copy of a popular movie so we never even see the broken ones...and it's been suggested that the empty-space on either side of the Netflix envelope gives the postal sorting Jaws something to grab that's not plastic.

On Saturday last the clark at our local post office (the nice one) engaged in a little friendly chit-chat about all these discs I keep sending out and why they differ from the ones Netfix sends out. 

Upon hearing the exalted name of Netflix mentioned in her presence, she put a hand to her heart and intoned, "Netflix..... is *special*."  

She explained that contrary to popular thought about pitchforks full of mail, all equally treated, she has been instructed that they are to carefully pull out each and every one of those red envelopes for careful handling.  "They represent a lot of business for us", she said.

Somehow the idea of one company earning the U.S. Mails' daintiest treatment has rocked my world.  

DennisM (Dennis M.)

Date Posted: 1/7/2012 6:39 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Great successful business model. 

Keerayduh (Steve L.)

Date Posted: 1/8/2012 10:08 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Last Edited on: 1/8/12 10:09 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Azimuth (David H.)

Date Posted: 1/10/2012 10:20 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

...she has been instructed that they are to carefully pull out each and every one of those red envelopes for careful handling.  "They represent a lot of business for us", she said.

Somehow the idea of one company earning the U.S. Mails' daintiest treatment has rocked my world.

Wow. This is very interesting!

Meanwhile, the PO loses more and more volume to email and to other delivery services. Wonder if they should consider doing things differently? Can they survive giving discounts and special treatment to bulk-mailing clients like Netflix, magazines, and junk mailers (i.e., advertisers)? Should they maybe try to delight and woo back individuals?

Johnston (Scott P.)

Date Posted: 1/29/2012 8:03 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I understand that DVDs are structurally stronger than CDs. 

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 1/30/2012 4:42 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Oooh!  I think I saw that special "Mythbusters"!  

I thought they should have used gorillas to drive the steamrollers, though.  But get real.  Steamrollers?  I mean, everybody knows postal sorting machinery is way more powerful than that.  I did like the woodchipper part, though.

Can't remember how it ended up.  ARE DVDs structurally stronger than CDs, or is it the other way around?

alycat (Michelle F.)

Date Posted: 6/21/2012 2:49 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Our Post Office said that Netflix DVDs don't get damaged because they have an agreement with Netfix that their disks go into a special separate tray/container after the Post Office receives them before they go out in the mail.  They are shipped from Netflix that way to each Post Office as well.  They aren't separate until they reach their destination.