Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: best type of cardboard to use?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Colleen M.

Subject: best type of cardboard to use?
Date Posted: 1/3/2012 5:00 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I sent out my first batch of cds last week, wrapped just like the site recommends, with posterboard-type "protection."  I just got my first notice that a cd arrived broken!  What type of 

cardboard is thick enough to provide protection without adding a lot to the cost of postage?  Please let me know your recommendations--I have a couple more to mail this week.

atdhvaannkcse,

Colleen

TracyB (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 1/4/2012 10:25 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Good question!

Posterboard vs. corrugated - you will get recommendations from both sides.

I mail with 1 piece of corrugated on the bottom, disc in the middle, & artwork on the top.  Mailing with 2 pieces of corrugated would make the "letter" too thick; the mail rate will then be package rate.  My reason for corrugated; I live in the midwest, corrugated is better for really cold weather (IMO).

The bulk of what I recieve is posterboard .....I have only had a report of 1 disc (that I sent) damaged & I have received only 1 disc damaged.  My quess is the post office in my area is pretty good.  Other people may report a higher rate of damage ..... I'm guessing their post office manhandles their packages.

FYI - the "non-machinable"  label.  Print this on a color printer .... or highlight this on your package.   Also, write this on the back of your package.   No amount of cardboard is going to protect a CD fed thru a machine.

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 1/4/2012 3:59 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I just lost one to a trader after being solemnly assured at the P.O. counter that there would be no machines.  Double corrugated cardboard, and a subsequent passive-aggressive note from my trader about how it wasn't enough. 

The question, literally: "what's the best cardboard to use" is - painful to tell -- the kind the site recommends, because the site is set up based on it.  

Do CDs break? Yes, sometimes.  Does the site "make good" when they do? Yes, always.  Will your own "better" cardboard do better? Yes, probably, but in the end, nothing short of personal hand-delivery by Mr.T in a UPS uniform fresh from the presidential jet is going to guarantee 100% non-risk to CDs in the mail.

So do your best, and happy trades, everyone.  May great music come your way -- in bubblewrapped steel!

Last Edited on: 1/4/12 5:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Evelyn L.

Date Posted: 1/5/2012 9:08 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Frankly, I just send them out in the jewel cases.  (And the real cases, not those flimsy "slim cases".)

Colleen M.

Date Posted: 1/5/2012 9:25 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks, all, for your input.  I just sent out two, one in a jewel case, one with 2 layers of stiff cardboard, both wrapped in the paper wrappers.  It cost more--$1.75 to $1.80 each--but I don't see the point of 

taking the risk of sending them out with only thin cardboard just so postage will be lower.  Will be evaluating costs and benefits as I gain more experience with swapping.  

Colleen

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 1/5/2012 11:15 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

..the other thing is: a lot of the time they'll charge you $1.71 just because the packet is "rigid".  Other times, it goes for $1.05.  I haven't seen one arrive with the SACD suggested-postage for ages.  I guess what I'm saying is, if you're going to spend $1.71 or more no matter HOW you package a "rigid" disc, you might as well package it securely.  Just don't expect to have any control over what happens to the little guys once they get into the mail.

TracyB (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 1/5/2012 2:12 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Colleen,

RE: 

"Thanks, all, for your input.  I just sent out two, one in a jewel case, one with 2 layers of stiff cardboard, both wrapped in the paper wrappers.  It cost more--$1.75 to $1.80 each--but I don't see the point of taking the risk of sending them out with only thin cardboard just so postage will be lower.  Will be evaluating costs and benefits as I gain more experience with swapping.  "

Here is my logic:  I have mailed 71 CDs .... so far, and ONLY 1 was received damaged.  I have received 41 CDs .... so far, and ONLY 1 was received damaged.  When you mail a lot of CDs & receive a lot of CDs ..... the (almost double) postage really adds up.

Keep this in mind too ..... the vast majority of CDs you will receive .... will have no cases.  Most people use the recommended method of shipping.  Add the cost of buying additional jewel cases to the (almost double) postage expense.

I have not received anything postage due either ...... my post office is really good, or I've been really lucky.  Test the waters a bit and see how your post office does.

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 1/5/2012 6:22 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Tracy, I agree.  And it does add up.  (Considering how many trades I've done, I try not to think about it too hard....blush)

To lose a disc to the mails -- especially one you REALLY want, is so unfortunate. The ones that get munched really stick in your mind, but I think we have to be willing to use the site the way it's supposed to be used, and don't feel pressured to spend a lot of extra postage just to "play".

Munch happens.  Sooner or later, it does.  If people want to pack extra carefully, bless them, and say thanks, but let's just remember it's not supposed to operate BASED on this extra kindness.  It's just nice when you get it.

So thanks, Colleen, for the extra effort.  If you ever grant a wish for me sent with a couple pieces of cracker-box cardboard and the SACD wrapper, I'll be delighted!

DennisM (Dennis M.)

Date Posted: 1/7/2012 6:36 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I buy CD's from Amazon, eBay, and Half.com.  I have had a few arrive broken mailed in jewel case and bubble wrap.  The are no guarantees.