Discussion Forums - CD Bazaar

Topic: Seeking Hawiian music. CDs & suggestions

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
kayote (Kayote B.)

Subject: Seeking Hawiian music. CDs & suggestions
Date Posted: 1/10/2009 11:05 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

A co-worker is going through a rough time, and I heard her comment she liked Hawiian music and would like to get some because it was cheery. 

I am not even sure how to go about finding this (I searched and found a couple, none posted.  Genre was World but no sub-genre jumps out as a logical place to browse).

Anyone have suggestions?  

Last Edited on: 1/10/09 11:50 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Azimuth (David H.)

Subject: One way...
Date Posted: 1/11/2009 12:21 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

In Advanced Search, put the word "Hawaii" in Album Title. Don't specify genre. Search on Posteds.

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 1/11/2009 12:29 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

She may mean slack-key guitar music, which is really, really beautiful -- try that keyword and also "Dancing Cat" label.    Ledward Ka'apana is wonderful -- and that label has him and other slack-key guitarists.  What a nice thing to do.  

kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 1/15/2009 8:40 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks, I'll try that.

tchdwn (Thom D.)

Subject: Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Date Posted: 1/15/2009 2:32 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

The most popular entertainer in Hawaii until his tragic death in 1997, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole formed the traditional Makaha Sons as a teenager in the mid-'70s, went out on his own in more of a contemporary style by the 1990s, and released four immensely popular recordings before passing away just after the release of 1996's N Dis Life. Born in the Honolulu suburb of Kaimuki, Kamakawiwo'ole later moved to nearby Makaha. In allegiance to his new home, Israel formed the Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau with brother Skippy plus Louis "Moon" Kauakahi, Sam Gray and Jerome Koko. The Makaha Sons recorded No Kristo in 1976 and released five more albums during as many years, though Skippy's death of a heart attack in 1982 came as quite a blow to his younger brother. The group soldiered on, and became Hawaii's most popular traditional group with breakout albums like 1984's Puana Hou Me Ke Aloha and its follow-up, 1986's Ho'ola.

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole decided to begin recording on his own with 1990's Ka 'Ano'i, which became the most popular Hawaiian album of the year. Though he continued his solo career, by 1991 he had recorded with the Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau again, and that year's Makaha Bash 3 set still more records in Hawaii, thanks in part to the single "Broken Promise." Another Makaha LP, Ho'oluana, appeared in 1992, though it was the last with Israel. His second solo effort, Facing Future, appeared in 1993, and 1995's E Ala E featured a reunited duet with Skippy, thanks to studio technology. Israel continued to win awards and sell very well with 1996's N Dis Life, but his ballooning weight problem (at times, he weighed over 750 pounds) caused his early death at the age of 38. ~ John Bush, All Music Guide

ritarene (Rita M.)

Date Posted: 1/20/2009 5:22 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Uncle Willie K is our favorite. We even named our daughter Makani after one of our favorite songs by him (Spirits in the Wind). There aren't any of his cds posted on swapacd, unfortunately (I know--they're all on my WL!). You can find some of his albums on Amazon & ebay. He has his own website, too & sells his cds through there. He really has some beautiful songs and is very contemporary, too.

If anyone finds Willie K cds in their ramblings through thrift stores & garage sales, please keep me in mind, too!! :0)

Alyssa Z.

Subject: POSTCARD COLLECTION CD FOR 1 credit
Date Posted: 1/21/2009 3:12 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Did you see my post on THE POSTCARD COLLECTION? GREAT Hawiian themed music! PM me if u are interested, just 1 credit.