Subject: I have found a CD that I think you would enjoy
2009 release, the third studio album from John Wetton and Geoffrey Downes, one-half of the Prog Rock supergroup Asia. Wetton and Downes cut their musical teeth on English church music as young boys, each was gifted with an... more »
Listen to Samples
2009 release, the third studio album from John Wetton and Geoffrey Downes, one-half of the Prog Rock supergroup Asia. Wetton and Downes cut their musical teeth on English church music as young boys, each was gifted with an ear for a good tune, be it ABBA or the Beach Boys. Their musical careers developed soon with John playing and singing with King Crimson and UK, while Geoff got enormous exposure with The Buggles and their massive hit 'Video Killed The Radio Star' in 1979, later on joining Yes for the release of Drama. The two came together in Asia (with Steve Howe and Carl Palmer) and the duo were responsible for writing the majority of the band's material. Icon 3 will please fans of Asia, Progressive Rock, AOR and melodic Rock. Frontiers.
Wetton and Downes Just Keep It Coming
Dean Giering | Newton, NJ United States | 04/12/2009
(5 out of 5 stars)
"After last year's superb Asia Phoenix album, my appetite was wet for more music from these guys. Thus I was happy to hear a 3rd installment of the Icon series would be released and it is a great listen. If you're a fan of Asia, previous John Wetton (and Downes) albums, AOR, Progressive and/or Classic Rock, this is a worthwhile addition to your collection.
Song by Song Breakdown:
1) Twice the Man I Was - A strong rocking opener that would be a great concert beginner.
2) Destiny - A great ballad with some wonderful vocal harmonies.
3) Green Lights and Blue Skies - A good middle of the road track reminiscent of previous Icon songs.
4) Raven - Beautiful duet ballad with Anne-Marie Helder.
5) My Life is in Your Hands - Flawless! Easily the best song on the CD and one of the best put out these guys (with or without Asia). From a beautiful keyboard opening, the song builds to a brilliant chorus of vocals, guitars and keyboards. The song winds down at the end and demands replaying.
6) Sex, Power and Money - A hard driving rocker that could have been on Asia's Astra album. Crank this one up!
7) Anna's Kiss - Nice instrumental.
8) Under the Sky - A good easy pop/rock song.
9) Don't Go Out Tonight - A quicker good pop/rock song than the last one. Anne-Marie Helder appears on this one.
10) Never Thought I'd See You Again - Another quick pop/rock song, but better than the last two.
11) Peace in Our Time - A strong closer with Anne-Marie Helder appearing again.
There you have it in a nutshell. If Asia's Phoenix got me hungry for more, this gets me even hungier. I hope we don't have to wait too long for another Asia or Icon."
Outstanding Follow on to Icon 2
T. Perry | New York | 03/22/2009
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Great follow up to their last, Icon II. Very strong from beginning to end with rockers (Twice the Man I Was, Don't Go Out Tonight, Sex, Power and Money) and ballads (Raven and Destiny). The instrumental (Anna's Kiss) is also great. The rest of the songs are middle of the road pop with excellent vocals from Wetton and nice keyboards from Downes. If you liked the first two Icon's along with Asia you won't be disappointed here. Highly recommended."
Icon 3 Wetton/Downes
Sergio Aceves | Sacramento, CA USA | 03/20/2010
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Amazing music from these two songwriters from the supergroup ASIA!!!...easily the best song from this studio album is "My Life Is In Your Hands." It's simply magnificent!!...and the rest of the tunes are also awesome!!...Highly recommended!!!"