Subject: I have found a CD that I think you would enjoy
Straight to Hell: Tribute to Slayer
Genres: Alternative Rock, Pop, Rock, Metal
Listen to Samples
Similarly Requested CDs
Yet another Slayer Tribute
Gunther Haagendazs | Up High in the Trees | 03/20/2006
(1 out of 5 stars)
"Slayer Tributes are commonly found here and there. Often they are filled with Poor Death metal and Black Metal interpretations that leave the listener begging to hear the originals. This tribute also throws in techno and punk into the mix as well and as you could imagine is no different from the other tributes. For the most part is awful with a few exceptions.
1. Necrophobic - Brutal truth 3/10: an under produced piece of [...] The vocalist clearly is just mumbling the words and is incoherent except in a few words, not even a growl. The redeeming quality is that it's short and fast.
2. South of Heaven - Abbadon of Venom 7/10: not too bad at all, but not necessarily great either. This one has good production and is somewhat hypnotic but at the same time it's boring and lacks the energy in the drums.
3. South of Heaven (Live) - The Electric Hellfire Club 8/10: WAY better quality and it's live. Technically better than the last one but why are there two covers of south of Heaven back to back?
4. Black Magic - Hypocrisy 5/10: Finally a band people will actually realize. Too bad I'm not a big fan of Hypocrisy to begin with. Nothing Special.
5. Alter of Sacrifice - Hecate Enthroned 1/10: ...there is honestly nothing worse then a Black Metal band with an un-intimidating vocalist who sounds like a hamster trying to be scary. Thanks for butchering one of my favorites. They also throw in the beginning to Jesus Saves at the end as well, not that it helps.
6. Peace By Peace (Sic) - Mortician 2/10: When I first heard this...I thought it was amazing. Don't get me wrong, I hate the vocalist, but the drummer is INSANE, ungodly fast. The extremely excessive down tuning aided in making it interesting. I did some research and found online that Mortician is actually made up of a Bassist/Vocalist and a Guitarist. There is no Drummer. There is only a Drum Machine. I'm sorry but you can't do that in a Death Metal/Grindgore band. I understand that you can't find a drummer who is willing to join your pathetic band but that means you should break up and call it quits instead of finding easy way outs. Drum Machines in Metal are reserved for bands like Nailbomb and they only made one studio album! I give it 2 instead of 1 because it's still somewhat amusing. Mortician is [...] though.
7. Mandatory Suicide - Chapter 7 8/10: The bad, they sample Tom Araya's high note. The good is that at the end of the song the vocalist does a good job at redoing the spoken word segment. Overall its an alright cover.
8. Fight Till Death - Jungle Rot 8/10: another good Death metal cover nothing groundbreaking just straight forward, still good.
9. Behind the Crooked Cross - Gigantor 1/10: a great example of what not to do. It sounds like a Punk Band. I mean Slayer can cover Punk but Punk can not cover Slayer. This is horrible. Honestly horrible.
10. Blood Red - Naked Lunch 1/10: Techno retards butcher a great song from my favorite Slayer album.
11. Angel of Death - Brood 1/10: What the hell is this?! We seriously do need to have laws passed that allow particular bands to covers songs such as Angel of Death.
12. The Anti-Christ 8/10: The song seems like a 10/10 because it comes after 3 horrible songs. The solos are well done and this is a proper cover and how Slayer songs should be covered, not like those previous three.
13. Chemical Warfare - Embraze 4/10: Not as terrible as previous abominations but I just don't care with this one.
That means that there were 5 good covers! Only 5! I paid 75 cents for this thing and I'm still disappointed! Look here is a small list of some good bands covering Slayer songs and some that are just interesting and amusing to hear.
Raining Blood - Malevolent Creation
Piece by Piece - Malevolent Creation
Raining Blood (Live) - Vader
Silent Scream - Vader
Hell Awaits (Live) - Vader
Angel of Death - Monstrosity
Captor of Sin - At the Gates
Silent Scream - Krisiun
Silent Scream - Children of Bodom
Kill Again - Angel Corpse
Raining Blood - Reggie and the Full Effect...it's funny
Raining Blood - Tori Amos...weird.....
South of Heaven + Mandatory Suicide - Apocalyptica
Raining Blood Medley - Dream Theater
The String Quartet Tribute to Slayer
No justice to Slayer but...
Desperate Existence | Hell | 09/24/2002
(5 out of 5 stars)
"...and amazing outing for the bands on the album. There are some great tracks on here. I would buy it just for the bands, not that is has anything to do with Slayer."
Edward Davila | Calumet City, IL | 07/28/2005
(4 out of 5 stars)
"Bravo to any band that does a cover on Slayer. And I'm not just saying that without listening to the CD. The 4 stars rating proves that. Slayer is a house-hold name. Slayer is GOD. It would have been a better CD if they were covered by more well known bands."