Subject: I have found a CD that I think you would enjoy
Shirley Caesar & Friends
Genres: Pop, Gospel
Similarly Requested CDs
Shirley Caesar' Inspirational album
Anthione Cobb | North Carolina | 09/25/2003
(4 out of 5 stars)
"I am a big Shirley Caesar fan and mostly everything she puts out I will run and get it. So when this CD came out I had to go to get it. So the track listing follows:
1. Starting All Over Again (with Oleta Adams): This ballad is very touching and encourages you that you can begin again. This is one of the best songs on the CD an Oleta Adams was the right choice with this song.
2. I'm Ready (with Kirk Franklin): Shirley and Kirk bridges the gaps between contemporary and traditional gospel music. This is an upbeat song which Shirley and Kirk should make a video of this song. It will win them a Dove Award for "Contemporary Gospel Song."
3. Just a Closer Walk With Thee (with Desmond Pringle): Don't know who this guy is but he can sing. Him and Shirley makes a team as they bring this old hymn up to date.
4. You Are My Friend (with Patti LaBelle): this is a wonderful new arrangement of Patti LaBelle's classic song. This is one of my favorites because two of my favorite divas are singing a duet together.
5. I'm Gonna Wait (with the Caesar Singers): Awesome song. Very contemporary that will take you back to "Lord, Let Your Spirit Fall On Me" from her 1984 album Salin'
6. Hurting Woman (with Faith Evans): I am going to tell you the truth I am still praying about this one.
7. I'm Blessed (with Dottie Peoples): If Shirley and Dottie performs this at the Stellar Awards the crowd will be rocking.
8. We Praise You Lord (with Kim Burrell): Shirley and Kim brings you into worship on this song. Another one of my favorites.
9.I Know It Was the Blood (with Gladys Knight and Patti LaBelle): My number one favorite song on the CD. The Caravan, Gladys Knight and the Pips and LaBelle teams up on this song. The probably only traditional gospel song on here.
10. Home: Wonderful ballad Shirley. This CD is awesome. This CD is made to become a classic and like the other reviewer said it will win her Stellar, Dove and a Grammy Award and probably will be win more than that. Well, done Pastor Caesar."
Anointed and Anointing
M. J. Moore | Chicago, Illinois United States | 12/09/2003
(5 out of 5 stars)
"This project was in the making for quite some time as I heard about it frequently for the last several years. Shirley Caesar has been a major listening in my household from my grandparents to my mother always listening to her. Though it took me a while to fully respect her anointed and anointing, I always knew even when I was much younger that this lady was truly blessed by God. Songs such as STRONG MAN, HE'S WORKING IT OUT, NEXT IN LINE FOR A MIRACLE and I REMEMBER MAMA are trademark bringin' thru the storm kinda songs. Her appearance on Kirk Franklins' 2002 REBIRTH project of CAUGHT UP is one of the best tracks on the CD done as only Shirley could do. At 65, it amazes me and simply lets me know that God is still blessing her and her voice as she handles the material well. It is not necessarily her singing but she is being used as a vessel. STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN- Duetting with Oleta Adams who gets lost in the mix once Shirley lets loose. This empowering and very optimistic song is one to lift anyone out of the pits who needs to know that they can begin anew that their life is not ending no matter what: of disease, circumstance or age. There is still hope with God and these women definitely let that be known.I'M READY- Kirk Franklin and his choir appear here on this song which sounds alot like something off of Kirk's REBIRTH CD. The song also sounds like something from other famous choirs. The song just speaks about being ready to live righteous for God. Shirley who enters with perfect pitch and conviction really tears into this song. Wait until the bridge where she just sings "Im Ready". There is something about that that touches me.JUST A CLOSER WALK WITH THEE- with Desmond Pringle who hails from Chicago. He actually used to sing at my church all the time. This enlivened song adds some extra touches to the original, slower version. Nevertheless, the message is not lost about desiring to be closer to Jesus. YOU ARE MY FRIEND- Shirley duetting with my favorite singer- Patti LaBelle- on one of her trademark songs is probably the reason I bought this CD. They both do a good job on this song while Patti just sits back and lets Shirley go buck wild. She also adds her trademark bellowing vocals here and her famous "da, da, da, da, da, da, da, da" note in nasal tone but Shirley dominates this cut.I'M GONNA WAIT- Featuring the Caesar Singers and the Greater Grace Temple Community Church Choir, this song which also sounds like something that Kirk would do also works well. It is a smooth midtempo that speaks on waiting for God to move and do His will. Blessings come when one waits on God!!HURTING WOMAN- Duet with Faith Evans has alot of passion to it. They both sound good together on this song and Faith does very well. Watch for this fantastic vocal run she does toward the end. The song speaks about a hurting woman which is so many people out there so many can relate to this.I'M BLESSED- with Dottie Peoples, this old school Gospel like song that is so appropriate for Shirley and Dottie who is a Gospel veteran in her own right. Being blessed is something we all are in one way or another and this song speaks on that. It brings out the many blessings that we take for granted.WE PRAISE YOU LORD- One of those Praise and Worship songs with one of the greatest Gospel vocalists who is so impassioned- Kim Burrell. This song is so powerful about just sitting aback and praising God for who HE IS not what He does. Two of the most powerful vocalists coming together here is so welcoming, encouraging and positive.I KNOW IT WAS THE BLOOD- A trio of Gladys Knight, Shirley herself and Patti LaBelle. The ladies do a very good job here on this song that just speaks of the blood of Jesus. Gladys' soulfulness, Patti's mournful soprano wailing and Shirley's gritty conviction adds so much to this song. It is tremendous hearing it and I know it was even more spiritual seeing it live. The ladies do so well that you know God was with them without a doubt. HOME- Shirley closes out the CD by herself singing about nothing but that place where we all look forward to in one way or another even if it is just searching for world peace. She speaks about going home to Heaven where we all want to go in one way or another.This is definitely an anointing and anointed CD that everyone needs to hear."
Joycelyn Whited | Jersey City, NJ | 03/09/2004
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Paster Shirley Caesar is truly the greatest gospel singer of this time and this very moving album is more spiritual than ever."