Subject: I have found a CD that I think you would enjoy
12 (+ Bonus CD)
Genres: Alternative Rock, Pop, Rock
The bonus CD
Joel L. Manahan | Ohio | 11/03/2004
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I picked up the 'bonus' CD that comes with this set independently. It was actually given out as a promotional tool by Zero Hour (a since-defunt label) for the U.S. release of 12. It contains some of the single-greatest pre-Shrink Notwist tracks ever.
1. The String - though this version bills itself as a 'remix' of the original, there is very little, if any difference between the two. An amazing song that is, ironically, a cover of a song done by the Notwist as a side-project called Village of Savoonga. This version is way better.
2. The Incredible Change of Our Alien - regarding the 'remix' label, same thing as the above song. This song begins with a banjo that is common among Notwist recordings. This song then builds into one of the most satisfying rock songs of its kind ever. Originally, this track was included on the album 'Nook'.
3. Johnny and Mary - this song is a wonderful inclusion because you could only previously get it off of an odd little compilation EP that the Notwist did with 3 other bands, all of whom worked to create their own rendition of Robert Palmer's classic tune. There is actually a great animated music video to this song if you can find it online somewhere. Musically it is more in the vein of 'Nook' and earlier recordings.
4. Loup (Torture Day remix with Cindy Dall) - this track was previously available on the second disc that originally shipped with 12. This disc also contains a mildly different version of the song 12. It's a great remix and actually gives the song a techno-undertow which would be echoed by further musical explorations in Shrink and Neon Golden.
5. Noah (remix) - This is the only place you can obtain this remix. This song alone is worth going to the trouble of getting the album with the extra CD. If you already own 12, sell it to a used CD store or give it to a friend or something and then get this version. Noah is a song on the album 12 but this remix is a drastic change from the original, darker, moodier, and substantially cooler. I've put this song on my computer and already played the hell out of it.
So there you have it, I didn't know if anybody else this side of the Atlantic would even know about these extra songs... and certainly I'd want to help newbies to the Notwist to be able to dig into the rich ouevre of music that the Notwist has to date. They are one of the greatest bands of the past decade... without a doubt."
makingthesaint | IL, USA | 04/06/2000
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I purchased a single disk version of this cold. I fell in love after the first chord was struck. This album has everything I like about music. It's emotional, moody, melancholy, jamming. I've been listening to not much else for three weeks now. ( Yes! It has staying power, too.)If you liked snow patrol, cat power, seam, sunny day R.E., etc. buy this now! or at least check out the samples."