Subject: I have found a CD that I think you would enjoy
Genres: Dance & Electronic, Pop, R&B
Rainbow, Mariah Carey's seventh studio long-player, is something like a concept album. Its theme is the various stages of the "emotional roller coaster," as she puts it, of her divorce and subsequent rebound. Carey continu... more »
Rainbow, Mariah Carey's seventh studio long-player, is something like a concept album. Its theme is the various stages of the "emotional roller coaster," as she puts it, of her divorce and subsequent rebound. Carey continues to walk the line between streetwise hip-hop soul and adult-contemporary acceptability, with the former not surprisingly offering most of the disc's high points. "Heartbreaker," the first single, is a likeable piece of bubble-gum R&B with grit borrowed from guest Jay-Z; the remix, with Missy Elliott, Da Brat, and DJ Clue on board, is a different enough piece of work that its appearance only a few cuts after the original version doesn't jar. Another groove-intensive track, the Snoop Dogg duet "Crybaby," is so sly that one hopes the two collaborate again. Of course, it wouldn't be a Mariah record without at least one major lapse in taste; here that bill is filled with a cover of Phil Collins's melodramatic "Against All Odds." --Rickey Wright
Similarly Requested CDs
Taste The Rainbow....... STOP! it's poison!
zooni | long beach ,ca | 07/30/2008
(3 out of 5 stars)
"If you were to line up all of mariah's albums side by side, "Rainbow" is truely Mariah's worst cd of all time. I hate saying that, because I'm a huge fan but it's a non-biased oppinion. Ironically, amazon's review says "Against All Odds" is the weakest track on the cd and that happens to be one of my faves! This album is all over the place, some of the interludes are better than some of the actual songs if that tells you anything. 'Rainbow" also includes one of the worst mariah songs of all time in my oppinion, which is "Thank God I Found You". What was she thinking, oh wait, SHE WASN'T THINKING, when she did a duet with 98 degrees. Where are they now? who cares. You can't even pick off 5 songs off this cd that you absolutely love, like on other Mariah albums. "After 2Nite" is ok, "Heartbreaker" is ok, and that's the problem, it's all just ok. "Thank God I Found" other mariah carey albums to listen to."
After every storm, there's a rainbow....
Lucy | Florida | 09/08/2009
(4 out of 5 stars)
"i think rainbow is a great theme, but everything else up until butterfly are all superb. this album falls short but that doesn't mean it's a bad album. it does seem like she rushed through this album, it's probably because she couldn't wait to leave sony. now that i think about it, i think "rainbow" is a perfect title to end all her sony drama years. i never realized she went through so much with tommy. every storm does have its own rainbow.
1) Heartbreaker(5/5)- definately the BEST one on this album. it's so catchy and memorable. "heartbreaker you got the best of me but i just keep on coming back excessively...o why...did u have to bring your game on me..i should have known...right...from...the...start...you come and break my heart...give me your love..give me your love". yup, after all these years, i still got those words in my head. i love the video as well. it's one of her best. the storyline is good.
2)Can't Take That Away(5.0/5.0)- i need to song for encouragement. it has a great message of not letting people try to bring you down and feel as if you're nothing. it's very uplifting and positive.
3) Bliss(4.5/5.0)- i can guess she's giving tribute to minnie riperton's loving you. it's very sensual..the way she does those orgasmic high pitchs. very nice.
4)How Much(3.0/5.0)- this song was alright.....i like the beats.
5)After Tonight(4.5/5.0)- it has a nice latin flavor to it. with this song, i could envision just strolling along the beach during sunset or having a nice romantic dinner.
6)Ex-Girlfriend (3.5/5)- It's so-so for me. it's just like a typical r'n'b song they had out back then.
7)Heartbreaker Remix(5.0/5.0)- cool remix. i like the video too where it's all black n white and she's in roller skates wearing a bikini top and shorts.
9) Against All Odds(5/5)- This song sounds just as great as the original. i applaud her for not trying change this song to make it lose it's appeal. her vocals are really strong for this song.
10) Crybaby(5.0/5.0)- hot song. it's very laidback and easygoing. i love the mixture of her deep vocals with her girly ones. especially when she goes "i just crrrrry".
11) Did I Do That(4.5/5.0)- this song is cute and funny. mystikal is a trip. the way he shouts "we can't stop...can't stop now" and "it ain't my fault". hilarious
12)Petals- (4.5/5.0)- kinda reminds me of butterfly. it's really beautiful and deep.
14) Thank God I found You (4/5)-mariah and 98 degrees sound great together. it reminds me of "one sweet day", but of course "one sweet day" is far more superior.