Subject: I have found a CD that I think you would enjoy
Genres: Alternative Rock, Pop, Rock
UK compilation taken from various singles released since 1990. 18 tracks, 'Gone Too Far', 'Honest Pleasure', 'Sunday Morning', 'China Girl', 'Still Alive', 'The Lake', 'I Defeat', 'Goalie's Ball', 'Chunny Pops', 'Tonight... more »
UK compilation taken from various singles released since 1990. 18 tracks, 'Gone Too Far', 'Honest Pleasure', 'Sunday Morning', 'China Girl', 'Still Alive', 'The Lake', 'I Defeat', 'Goalie's Ball', 'Chunny Pops', 'Tonight', 'Dreaming Up Tomorrow', 'William Burroughs', 'Assassin', 'Stolen Horse', 'Undertaker', 'Egoiste', 'Van Gogh's Dog' & 'Where You Gonna Run?'. 2001.
3 and half stars: could have had a better selection.
cam h. | USA | 07/21/2002
(3 out of 5 stars)
"I am a *huge* James fan. Have every one of their albums, and a hefty dose of singles. When I saw they were releasing an album of b-sides, it was a dream come true--not just because they have a history of putting out b-sides as consistently wonderful as their singles and albums, but because it is quite difficult to score James singles here in the U.S.The problem with this disc is twofold: first, one disc couldn't do their b-side output justice. It was bound to feel incomplete. Second, I felt even those selected weren't necessarily the ones I would pick to represent their secret stash of genius. Even my admittedly incomplete collection of singles holds more A+ material. Some stunners are here: "The Lake," "I Defeat," and "Van Gogh's Dog." But where are "Fishknives," "Mary," or the positively fantastic, absolutely-no-reason-to-not-include-it "America"? There is also a wealth of killer live material and remixes. Leaving those out can be excused, but even with 18 tracks, the cd doesn't feel representative of what James has done. For the James fanatic (yours truly) of course this is a must have. You already know you have little choice. And I am glad I bought it--allowed me to have the great tracks "Sunday Morning," "Still Alive," and "Undertaker," which I didn't have. Too bad it isn't better, however."
Wrong B sides
P. Madison | AZ United States | 05/07/2003
(3 out of 5 stars)
"James B sides are some of their best material, and unless copyrights and permissions blocked the selection process... I'd give out the grade of an F for this CD. If you are a huge James fan like me, you have to buy it. It is very dissapointing to look at this selection of songs knowing there may never be another attempt to press a CD with their B sides ever again. It even sounds like they recorded some from LP or 7" instead of remastering the original tape! Come on!!![.] Sit Down!!!
1. Gone too Far- OK... but wouldn't make my list of 18.
2. Honest Pleasure- Not a great song, kind of 'whiny' vocals.
3. Sunday Morning- Good choice, a strong James tune.
4. China Girl- OK, but Bowie did it better.
5. Still Alive- A pretty whiny song, only mediocre.
6. The Lake- Great Song.. good choice.
7. I defeat- I don't like it. Don't like the duet. Bad REM song?
8. Goalie's Ball- OK at best.
9. Chauncy Pops- Generic techno-pop, not a strong James effort.
10. Tonight- Great Song, 'a B side' must have.
11. Dreaming Up Tomorrow- great choice... not re-mastered like others.
12. William Burroughs- Ok I guess.
13. Assasin- A very strong B side, great song.
14. Stolen Horse- melancoly, slow, aahhhh
15. Undertaker- Yuck, one of a few James tunes I skip over.
16. Egoiste- more techno- B filler stuff... booo
17. Van Gogh's Dog- cool title for an only 'OK' James song.
18. Gonna Run- Background Noise? OK for WAH WAH, not here.
B sides that should be on this "Ultra Collection".. Leaking, America, Island Swing, Uprising, Fight, Building a Charge, New Nature, Fire Away, Lazy, All my Sons, Once a Friend, and others. Nice Idea but poor execution, too bad."