Subject: I have found a CD that I think you would enjoy
A True Gem... The Hudson Brothers
Shadz | WI United States | 07/01/2000
(4 out of 5 stars)
"How do I even begin. I've been a fan of the Hudson Brothers forever. Have every "album" they've done. And now have been looking to get some of the great songs on CD and this one covers most of them and adds in some rare gems that are not on any of the albums I have. 1. Spinning The Wheel - Upbeat pop with harmony. These guys rock out on this song. Heavy on the guitar and just an all around fun song.
2. So You Are A Star - A Top 100 Hit on Billboard if I'm not mistaken. The song that came out of their television show. Yes they had a television show and I think that is why some never took their music seriously. But just listen to this semi-ballad and you hear Marks great voice and the tightness of the group. This song was destined to be a hit and it still sounds good today.
3. If You Really Need Me - Again just wonderful pop that wasn't really that bubblegum. There was some serious stuff on all their albums.
4. With Somebody Else - Pure hit, this is one of my favorite favorites. I think I've worn out the album playing this track. This was off the Ba-Fa album, a great album produced by Bernie Taupin. Yes of Elton John fame. This album came out under Rocket Records, Elton's record label.
5. Hollywood Situation - This is a song that came out of the television series. Pretty heavy pop, and no it's not bubblegum.
6. Oh Gabriel - This was off the Ba-Fa album and a great piece. The harmony is splendid and this song and this whole album kind of have a very beach..summer feel to it.
7. Do 4 Me - ('95) - A Rarity
8. Annie - Heavy on the piano and fun. This is off the Damn Those Kids album. I this particular album and songs from it you can hear how Mark's voice sounds similar to John Lennon. Mark Hudson has a very versatile voice and should have been recognized more for that fact.
9. Be A Man - A Rarity
10. Out Of The Rainbow / Find Me A Woman / Little Brown Box / One And The Same - This little medley is just pure fun, nonsense, pop rock. Hudson brothers having a good time on this one. This is from the Totally Out of Control album... G - O - D spells God ... D - 0 - G spells dog...OH lord they must be One and the Same.*L* Just line from this medley.
11. Rendezvous - The Hudson Brothers at their VERY best. This hit Billboards hot 100 and showed that they had a wonderful knack for pure ear candy. This is from the Ba-Fa album and it sounds like something you'd hear from the Beach Boys in their Good Vibration days...but even better. Love this song!
12. Pretty Baby - A Rarity
13. Cry, Cry, Cry - Shows the brothers doing a great ballad with lush harmonies.
14. Afraid To Love - This is from Damn Those Kids and is a duet with Linda Ronstadt. Good rock-pop song. Should have been a hit.
15. Sweet Candy - ('95) A Rarity
16. Straight Up And Tall - From Totally out of Control if I'm not mistaken. Through all these songs you will see the major influence the Beatles had on these guys.
17. Joni - A heartfelt ballad by Mark on Damn Those Kids. This one is ok, not exactly one of my favorites though.
18. Mr. Kirby (The New Yorkers) - A Rarity
19. Lonely School Year - From Ba-Fa, this hit the Billboard top 100 and is another great pop song. Just listening to it makes you think of summer. This one and all the songs from Ba-Fa are like that and this cd pulls a lot of them from that hardly heard of album.
20. Bernie Was A Friend Of Ours / My Heart Can't Take It - Yet another from Ba-Fa. There is a small part in Bernie was a friend of ours that is perfectly Beach Boys. These guys amazed me even more on that little snippet. "Don't let the california sun go down on you..." Most of the song is an ode to Bernie Taupin. But this little part of it is somethign that always sticks out in my head. And then the ending piece..My Heart Can't take it... wonderful piece. If you ever wanted to hear one of the best hardly noticed pop bands of the 70's that really could write great music and play their instruments. Buy this CD, you won't be disappointed, you will wonder why you didn't hear these guys sooner.
And to Bill, Mark, and Brett Hudson...if you happen to read this. *smile* Thank you so very, very much for some great music. To this day some of your songs still underscore my life. I'd like to see you guys back together. Take care!"
The Hudson Brothers, "So You Are A Star", the best
Catherine Mustilli/Claudia Wallace | Westlake, Ohio United States | 04/14/2001
(5 out of 5 stars)
"The first question that comes to mind after listening to this CD is, why weren't they more popular??! The Hudson Brothers have an amazing harmony and sound that enhances some of the best songs I have ever heard! As talented as these brothers are, they still are widely unknown and that is a great loss to the music world.Although most of these songs were recorded years ago, the sound is timeless and would do well even in today's market. I highly recommend this CD to anyone with an ear for music, its money well spent!"
A lost piece of my youth
K. Curley | Covington, Georgia United States | 08/14/2003
(5 out of 5 stars)
"This CD brought back wonderful memories of growing up and watching The Hudson Brothers TV show. One can only hope that now that this collection has been released, the brothers might see fit to reissue all their original LPs on CD."