Subject: I have found a CD that I think you would enjoy
Chapter V I Guess This Is Goodbye
Genre: Alternative Rock
Listen to Samples
Similarly Requested CDs
Emo: know your enemy before you can hate them
Malkmus Suave | 05/21/2005
(4 out of 5 stars)
"This is a sufficient emo compilation. If you like emo-punk music you'll like this CD. Some songs sound kind of old school, don't expect taking back sunday kind of music. It sounds a bit underproduced, like a demo CD that was done on a 8 track. Here is my response to the emo bashing review that I have seen for more than one emo CD that seems to lack substantial premise. If you're going to put emo down for not being complex, you might as well put done various classic rock, punk, indie rock, and alternative rock bands, and metal would be nowhere without its overlooked roots in punk and classic rock. So here is a comparison of emo to those listed metal bands.
1. Primus. Primus is a unique band that shouldn't be compared to any band outside the genre of funk metal. You hear emo bands bass playing fine, check out Thursday's full collapse.
2. Lamb of God. Vocals more less sound the same for every song which diminishes the crucial value of tension and release. Where as emo bands have a nice dynamic going between damn near whispering, sing with a lilt, singing, screaming, yelling, harmonizing singing with yelling and/or screaming, and harmonizing.
3. Children of Bodom. Guitar Solos? What about Yngwie Malmstein, Exodus, Testamentt, John Petrucci, the list can go on: guitar virtuosos don't necessarily make great bands.
4. Shadows fall. Has kind of generic newer hardcore metal sound and incorporates an emo core feel with the way they sing. Anyway, if people really want to hear "complex music", they can listen to progressive rock or jazz.
5. In flames. Emo bands have two guitarists in order to harmonize layers and textures to create a soundscape. Listen to the outro to Dashboard's "hands down" and how the chord with the hishest tension is the chord that's played over the singing "you kissed me like you meant it." Due to that guitar playing over the first guitar's basic rhythm, that's the climax of the song. Also, solo harmonies aren't always an effective use of two guitarists, that can be done with an effect pedal.
6. Mastodon. What are deep lyrics? Lyrics are personal and mean different things to different people. Anyway read the lyrics to "we build this come to death." Sounds like some generic love song to me, potentially an emo song.
7. Soilwork. Singing has an emo feel to it and has an industrial metal feel, kind of like slightly heavy music that you can dance to at raves.
8. dark tranquility. Is a great band. Complexity isn't always necessary.
9. CKY. Many of their song have an emo feel to it. "Disengage the simulator" is an emo song."
Little timmy do u know what emo is
Joe | United States | 02/01/2005
(4 out of 5 stars)
"obviously not. emo is short for emotional. no, you won't find ashlee simpson or maroon 5 under this label who make music to sell. emo is pure. it is expressing yourself. the oc does not entirely listen to emo. i don't beleive the killers are emo or any of the other bands that have played on that show. for those who have read little timmy's misguided perspective of emo, i apologize. this is a really nice mix of songs. buy it, you will enjoy real talent."