Subject: I have found a CD that I think you would enjoy
Lion King 1 1/2
Genres: Special Interest, Pop, Soundtracks, Children's Music
Disney's penchant for quickie, video-only sequels to its animated features has earned the studio its fair share of criticism. But the soundtrack to the Mouse House's latest small screen follow-up to its classic The Lion... more »
Disney's penchant for quickie, video-only sequels to its animated features has earned the studio its fair share of criticism. But the soundtrack to the Mouse House's latest small screen follow-up to its classic The Lion King deftly dodges the chronic sequelitis that has undermined similar efforts. Reworking the original's "That's All I Need" and "Hakuna Matata" for star Nathan Lane's turn as the antic meerkat Timon (assisted on the latter track by the stellar vocal harmonies of Ernie Gabrell, Jason Weaver and Joseph Williams) casts both in an energetic new light. Elsewhere, the emphasis is on vintage r&b covers infused with contemporary production sheen (Raven's slinky take on Ramsey Lewis' "Grazing in the Grass," The Tokens' "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by Lebo M, Drew K. & French's faithful take on Kool and the Gang's "Jungle Boogie"), performances that give the project a familiar, inviting aura for kids of all ages. Composer Don Harper rounds the collection out with a selection from his original orchestral score and a remarkably faithful take on Morricone's classic theme to The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. --Jerry McCulley
Similarly Requested CDs
Kind of a short CD, but "Digga Tunnah" ROCKS!!!
SuperOdie34 | Salisbury, MD United States | 02/21/2004
(4 out of 5 stars)
"Okay, so the CD is pretty short. Only eight tracks, only two music scores from the film, it must be less than 30 minutes long. But most of the stuff we get is great, although, for some dumb reason, we get the version of "Hakuna Matata" from the original "Lion King" instead of one in this movie (remember in the movie: "Hey, Timon! I've got an idea! Let's do a sing-along!"). "Grazing in the Grass" is pretty good, although I'm getting a little tired of Raven performing everything for Disney these days. "That's all I need!" is also good, and it is very nice that Disney included the reprise of the song that's played for the end credits. But the BEST song BY FAR is "Digga Tunnah". Alas, we only get the end credit version of the song, but it's so well done, you'll hardly care. This is a ingenious yet simple song, a ditty which sets up the merekats' scaredy-cat view of life in the funniest way possible. It's so catchy I still can't stop singing it. It should make the next "Disney's Greatest" album, and I'm not kidding! "Quick before the hyena Commmmmmmmee!"."
Very Short, Not Good Enough
David J. Gorman | 04/16/2006
(2 out of 5 stars)
"Since this is such a ridiculously short CD, I'll review it track by track.
1. Grazing In The Grass - I'm not too fond of Raven, so I naturally didn't really like this track. It just isn't my taste.
2. Digga Tunnah Dance - I love Digga Tunnah, but this is just the version that plays over the credits. Why weren't the superior movie version and the reprise included?
3. That's All I Need - This is probably the best track, with an extended ending.
4. Hakuna Matata - This is just the track from the original movie. I can understand including it, but why not the version in 1/2? It's brief and silly, but I still like it (although you wouldn't get the joke with Pumbaa eating the dancing grub without the visual)
5. The Lion Sleeps Tonight - This is also a nice track, but it's easy to find. It doesn't really "make" the CD or anythhing.
6. Jungle Boogie - Why was this included? It's played for five seconds in the movie! If this is here, then why not also have "Sunrise, Sunset?"
7. Timon's Traveling Theme - I like this track. It has the Hans Zimmer feel of the original movie
8. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly - It's nice this was included, but I don't have much to say.
All in all, so much more could have been done with this CD. It's too short, and some of the choices are too silly."
Could have been better, short on music from the film
bouye | 02/25/2004
(3 out of 5 stars)
"The disc actually played without trouble on my computer's DVD drive.Music is good with the exception of the 1st track which I don't remember from the movie. The Hakuna Matata version of the Lion King 3 (international name of the Lion King 1.5) has been replaced with the one from the Lion King 1 without reason. They could have included the other two versions of Digga Tunnah Dance that occur in the movie as well."