Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Correctional Institution Inmates Prohibited?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
iamthed (Alex D.)

Subject: Correctional Institution Inmates Prohibited?
Date Posted: 4/10/2007 11:46 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
From the Terms of Use:

"Correctional Institution Inmates Prohibited
This Site may not be used to ship CDs to or from any jail, prison or correctional facility of any kind. Inmates at any jail, prison, or correctional institution are expressly prohibited from using this service. By agreeing to these Terms of Use, you acknowledge that you are not currently incarcerated in any jail, prison, or correctional facility of any kind and further agree not to allow your account to be used by any inmate at any jail, prison, or other correctional facility."

Not that I'm in jail or plan to but what is the purpose of this clause. I am just wondering.
Classicana (Anna B.)

Date Posted: 4/10/2007 12:25 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Alex, someone at the jail (sheriff in most cases) has to screen ALL mail - it's extremely time-consuming just scanning letters that are received and checking packages. IF they also had to listen to every tape/cd/dvd, etc., it would take a full-time crew! That's why so many jails, et al, are really pushing use of email. They can set up filters, they have a permanent record and it takes a fraction of the time.
eta: those broken plastic discs make a heck of a weapon!!

Last Edited on: 4/10/07 12:26 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 4/10/2007 3:08 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I see. That makes sense. I was just wondering why that run was there. Interesting...
myrke (Evan M.)

Date Posted: 4/10/2007 4:09 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
People in jail have cd collections? Oops.. now I feel bad sending this guy a cd by the Lockpicks. eek
FolkRockFan (Sarah B.)

Date Posted: 4/10/2007 5:11 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Some (or maybe all?) jails/prisons forbid inmates to have CDs regardless of how they're acquired. Mostly for safety reasons.
Classicana (Anna B.)

Date Posted: 4/10/2007 7:33 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Don't really know, but I'd guess that posting that could be required by licensing regulations.

Evan, some of them are in jail BECAUSE they were collecting cd's..... and cd players, etc.
Mostly from other people's cars and houses.
staffymom (Debbie S.)

Date Posted: 4/10/2007 9:09 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Beverage warning!!! Coke... through the nose is not a fun thing.lol

Debbie
boo (Rebecca P.)

Date Posted: 4/11/2007 1:25 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
LOL!!!!
iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 4/11/2007 8:47 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Looks like PBS has this rule too. If I was in jail, I think books would be a good pass of time.

Last Edited on: 4/11/07 2:05 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
FolkRockFan (Sarah B.)

Date Posted: 4/11/2007 3:29 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Depending on the institution, inmates may only acquire reading material that is mailed directly from the distributor/publisher (Amazon.com, for example). Mostly to prevent smuggling and such.

Err...at this point, I feel the need to add that I've never been arrested, much less incarcerated. :) I have friends who are LEO or prison guards, though :)
kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 4/11/2007 9:30 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
There are strict rules on what and how things can be mailed in.

There is a local group called Books for Prisoners, but they go through another group to actually ship the books to the prisons.
vprosser (Valerie P.)

Date Posted: 4/13/2007 11:39 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Yes, I worked in a medium security prison and only books directly from the publisher are allowed. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff people try to hide in their mail -- even photos have to be scrutinized very carefully. It's scary!