Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: LPs, cassettes and 8-tracks

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
sinistar (George S.)

Subject: LPs, cassettes and 8-tracks
Date Posted: 4/16/2009 11:39 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Okay, so maybe I am just the greedy sort, but I have noticed an unusual trend here at the SwapaDoohickey trading sites... the Powers That Be seem to actually listen and respond to the members of the site. Now this is a bit unusual in the age of eBay and Amazon, but I am getting used to it. With that in mind, I would like to ask if there would be anyone interested in swapping vinyl albums, cassette tapes or (for those of us who just cannot let go of the past) maybe even 8-track tapes for CD credits?

Over at the SwapaDVD site, there is a VHS Bazaar along with the DVD Bazaar (which of course is similar to the CD Bazaar here). When there was some interest shown in swapping laserdiscs, laserdiscs were added to the VHS Bazaar. So would anyone be interested in a LP/cassette/8-track Bazaar over here? I have tons of great vinyl along with not-quite-tons-but-still-a-bunch of sealed cassettes and even a few sealed 8-tracks. If there is any interest, I would bet we can get a new Bazaar added.

tompee (Tompee Z.)

Date Posted: 4/16/2009 12:00 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

sign me up for the LP trading.

bossajake (Patrick J.)

Subject: i'm onboard the obsolete audio trading bandwagon - anyone else?
Date Posted: 4/16/2009 4:07 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

yes george!

excellent idea, i thought about mentioning this in a feedback comment to the staff awhile back but they've been swamped under my constant barrage of questions so i hadn't brought it up yet.  didn't want to overwhelm them  :)

there isn't much on swapadvd that is done better than here on swapacd but that vhs trading forum is one of them.  i think they have completely different staff members than those here on swapacd.  here they are much more responsive and personable than the staff at swapadvd.  a happier crew here it seems.   and i'm not just tossing around compliments in an attempt to grease the wheels so to speak    :)

the only problem is that i suspect this additional forum would be lightly used, as the vhs one is over on swapadvd.  there are lots of posts but few takers.  it seems like there are many of us (myself included) who have a hard time letting go of their old obsolete media, whatever it may be, and it doesn't help that most others don't seem to have an appreciation for that old outdated media.

i still love the idea though.  maybe if this thread gets some action the staff will pick up on the interest level - please post a comment here if this sounds interesting to you.

i'm onboard the obsolete audio trading bandwagon but someone needs to come up with a better catch phrase for this latest crusade!  ;~)

patrick   bossajake

sinistar (George S.)

Subject: Re: LPs, cassettes and 8-tracks
Date Posted: 4/16/2009 11:27 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Glad to see there is some interest! I think vinyl might actually get more attention than videocassette. VHS is fading but vinyl has actually been making a mild comeback and not just among older collectors. It's kind of funny that my niece who is in her 20's has almost no idea what vinyl even is but her daughter who is 6 wants a record player! LOL! A couple of years ago I didn't even bother listing albums for sale but a couple of months ago I put up a few and have had great success with them. Mostly high school kids have been buying and mostly classic rock kind of stuff. But I would rather trade out for CD credits and it gives the new collectors a chance to pick up some old classics without spending that ever harder to find cash. Maybe it could even bring some more members to the site. I hope it at least gets considered.

3 (Len S.)
SwapaCD Team

Subject: Something Old IS Something New
Date Posted: 4/21/2009 4:45 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

"If there is any interest, I would bet we can get a new Bazaar added."

Now would be the time to collect from everyone who accepted your bet :)

I'm calling it the "CL84 Bazaar" (Cassettes, LPs, 8-Tracks, 45s) until one of you genii come up with a better name. Hey, I'm a developer, not a name-thinker-upper.

bossajake (Patrick J.)

Subject: re new cl84 bazaar
Date Posted: 4/21/2009 9:42 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

ok - this wasn't much of a "crusade" - swapacd responded so quickly we didn't even have time to get our campaign bandwagon rolling :)

we now have an obsolete audio forum to post all of our dust collecting older audio related material (cassettes, lp's, 8 tracks and 45's) - the cl84 bazaar - this is awesome!  (and i'm not referring to the name of the bazaar - good grief :)    seriously though - their responsiveness to this issue and to other questions i've posed to them over the past few months has been absolutely amazing.  those guys at swapacd know a good idea when they hear it. :)

i hope everyone will consider making use of the forum to trade off their old stuff.  so drag out that old peach crate of record albums and get busy posting -  i can't wait to see the thing get rolling.

thanks swapacd for listening to the members!      patrick    bossajake