Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Is a cardboard insert even necessary?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Mark J.

Subject: Is a cardboard insert even necessary?
Date Posted: 3/15/2008 2:08 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

With putting in the cd booklet, it seems like that adds enough insulation. Especially when like with online movie rental sites like Netflix, they send the movies in nothing more than a flimsy piece of paper, and those never come damaged.

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 3/15/2008 10:43 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Cardboard is very necessary and so easy to add.  Just go back into the forum and find the thread with reports of broken cd's. Pack 'em like you want to get them. It only costs a few more cents.

Azimuth (David H.)

Date Posted: 3/15/2008 1:17 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

And you're doing a double favor if you cut the cardboard wide enough to completely support the rear insert.

iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 3/15/2008 3:13 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

"Especially when like with online movie rental sites like Netflix, they send the movies in nothing more than a flimsy piece of paper, and those never come damaged."

The Netflix packages are not just a flimsy piece of paper. They are actually amazingly engineered.  The sleeves are made of a very strong material, not easily torn.  The biggest prevention of breakage are the outer sleeve, which has about 1/2 “of extra material to cushion the disc.  Besides the fact that DVDs are heavier, have extra layers, and are much more durable than CDs. 

I can assure you that extra preventative materials are absolutely necessary.  CDs set with just 2 pieces of paper have a significant amount of breakage.

Mark J.

Date Posted: 3/15/2008 5:36 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Ok, I went ahead and put one in then. Thanks

Firefly (Cathy W.)

Date Posted: 3/26/2008 1:17 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Yes, please use the cardboard!!!  My husband and I send out over 100 of his new CD as holiday gifts this year, using a sleeve that was supposed to protect them.  The ONLY ones that made it without cracking were the couple that had a piece of cardboard to support a photograph.    So frustrating!!

Keerayduh (Steve L.)

Date Posted: 3/27/2008 7:41 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Alex is right.  Additionally - the Netflix envelopes have extra length on both sides so that they can be grabbed by the post office's automatic machines without harming the disks.  When a package cut to the exact size gets grabbed by the automatic machinery, it's easy to crack the disk.  That's why it is highly recommended to use at minimum cardboard on both sides of the disk and inserts cut large enough so you don't have to fold anything.

Many people use (and reuse) bubble wrap bags and still use cardboard to help keep the disks as good as they were shipped.

Regards,

Steve :)

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 4/2/2008 9:46 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

If you're not going to send the jewel case, then please use stiff cardboard.  Cereal box does not do the job.

Reno-ness (Steve S.)

Subject: The Golden Rule
Date Posted: 4/2/2008 11:23 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

"Pack 'em like you want to get them."

What a beautiful thing. If you've ever received a broken CD, you'll understand.

I like to err on the side of more packing, if it can ensure my requester enjoys the disc on the other end!

Peace & Love,

Steve

Eyesore (Kenneth W.)

Date Posted: 4/3/2008 1:47 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

STOUT cardboard can help. You people putting the side of a cracker box in next to the disc are wasting your time. Haha.

EDIT: Looks like djtal is on top of things. =)

Last Edited on: 4/3/08 1:48 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Azimuth (David H.)

Date Posted: 4/3/2008 2:14 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thin cardboard protects the back art. It's better than paper only.

cybrdragon (Cynthia S.)

Date Posted: 4/13/2008 2:31 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I've gotten plenty of cracked DvD's from Netflix.  :)  Also gotten them from GameFly, and they have thick cardboard around them!

oldiesandjazz (Trish R.)

Date Posted: 4/14/2008 5:31 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I think cardboard is necessary ... I mail with thick (corrugated) cardboard and wish all senders did as well.   I have a small mailbox and have not had a damaged CD yet from unprotected mailing, but I can easily see it happen.   I have received cracked DVDs from Netflix, as another member mentioned as well.

mari (Maria E.)

Date Posted: 4/17/2008 5:14 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

What I do is take one of those super-thin plastic jewel cases (you know, the colorful ones with the clear cover?), separate the cover from the base and use them for separate CD orders. It's nice because the covers have the insert notches so you can put down the CD and then slide the insert in over it.

devomike (Michael C.)

Subject: yes to cardboard
Date Posted: 4/21/2008 2:02 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Of course - cardboard (even two pieces) is very necessary unless you want a bunch of cracked disc icons in your transaction history. I can't tell you how many cracked CDs I have because the sender just mailed it in the flimsy two pieces of paper. I always include cardboard (if not a plastic clammy), usually a thick stiff piece from a box and a thin one, like from Natural Lite beer packaging. So the more CDs I send out, the more beer I have to drink!. Works for me!