Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Old BMG CDs

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Sharon F.

Subject: Old BMG CDs
Date Posted: 4/8/2022 11:13 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have some old BMG CDs that don't have UPCs on them.  Can I list them as long as they match the description and covers shown on Swap?

(((*.*))) Sharon

Michelle D.

Date Posted: 4/8/2022 12:10 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Yeah, but just post them in the bazzar. You can trade any CDs that don't have UPCs in that forum.

Dennis S.

Date Posted: 4/8/2022 12:25 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

YES they can be listed as long as the artist, title and tracklist match. They do not have to have a UPC, and they do NOT have to be posted in the bazaar.

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 4/8/2022 7:19 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I agree that Dennis is correct.

MrD (Constantine D.)

Date Posted: 12/30/2022 11:02 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

When I have BMG pressings, I also note that in the notes section and I inform the requestor that it is a BMG pressing just in case they want to bail out of the trade.  Reason being, the BMG pressings are sometimes slightly inferior in quality.  Back in the early 2000's I noticed differences between them and standard pressings of the same title and I had a friend who was very techie and into sound recording do  A/B testing on them.   He discovered that the BMG pressings were clipping the sound at the higher registers, causing the BMG pressings to sound more brittle and not as full.  I wrote to the company and they denied it, but my ears and pro sound equipment don't lie.  So I cringe when I get a BMG pressing that I wasn't aware of, like recently I bought a Jethro Tull CD on Ebay and it was a BMG.  Sometimes I forget to ask....

Last Edited on: 12/30/22 11:03 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
WareW01f (Chris G.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2023 10:18 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I've been playing with scanning discs and cd hashes. I might pick up some BMG titles just for yucks. I've seen lots of talk of BMG discs being 'different' than UPCed versions, but I find it hard to believe that they went through the effort of remastering a disc from scratch vs just copying an existing disc. I've not seen an honest effort to map the BMG discs out there to other skus. My guess is the CD hash 'reads' like an existing sku (I.e. the tracks align exactly (meaning that is the UPC I would use) 

The BMG 'stigma' seems to have bled into the CD databases as well. It's all ones and zeros and quite easy to tell if discs are actually copies or not.