Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: no UPC bar code - what to do?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
elsquared (Lawrence W L.)

Subject: no UPC bar code - what to do?
Date Posted: 4/20/2021 8:36 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have two CDs that I want to post but neither has a UPC number and/or bar code.  These are NOT illegally burned discs.  One was obtained through one of those CD-by-mail clubs, and where the bar code should be it says, "Mfd. for BMG Direct Marketing, Inc. under License".  The other - "Fly" by Sarah Brightman - is a two-disc set I bought when I saw her on tour.  There is a sticker on the case that says, "Special Edition - 2 CD Box - La Luna Tour".  Suggestions, anyone?

MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Date Posted: 4/21/2021 10:33 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I found this in the Help Center

When posting, I can not find my copy of the CD in the system.

When posting a CD, it is best if the UPC matches exactly. If you are unable to match by UPC then try to match the CD by Artist, Album Title, Label and Release Date. If you can not find a CD in the system that has your Label and Release Date then you may post it as another CD with matching Artist and Album Title as long as the Tracklist matchesPlease ensure that the matching CD has the same Tracklist as your CD.

How to post a CD

Posting a CD to your Tower is very easy.  You can post CDs one at a time, or in batches, or upload a file of UPCs.

Before you Post, please note:

• Your CDs must be the original discs.
    • Posting burned copies of CDs is not permitted.
    • Posting a burned copy of a CD will jeopardize your membership at SwapaCD.
  • All CDs, including Promotional or Advanced copies, must match the Title, Artist, Track Listing, and Disc Count exactly.
  • Your CDs must be playable to be posted.
  • CDs at SwapaCD are valued at 1 credit per disc.

To post your CD:

• Go to the Post CDs page

From anywhere on the site:
    • Place your cursor over My Account in the toolbar at the top of the page
    • Click Post CDs in the menu that drops down
From My Account:
  • Click the Post CDs tab
From My Bookshelf:
  • Click the link "Post CDs" at the top left, in the yellow bar 
  •  Posting by UPC  (left of page) 

• The UPC is a 12-digit number on the back of the CD case, below the barcode.
    • If the UPC field does not turn green, and no listing preview comes up, the UPC (title/artist) are not recognized by the SwapaCD database.
    • Check that you have entered the information correctly, and try again.
  • Posting by Title and Artist (right of page)

• This may bring up several choices
    • Scroll down the list and check the track lists to find your exact CD
  • On the next page:

• You will see the CD Listing Preview.
      • confirm that this is the correct CD.
      • Click the + beside "Track Listing" to check the tracks
      • Title, Artist, Track Listing, and Disc Count must ALL match your CD exactly in order to use this listing to post your CD.
    • Choose your CD Attributes (what you are planning to include with your CD):
      • Disc Only
      • Disc + back insert
      • Disc + front insert
      • Disc + front and back inserts
    • Choose whether or not to put this CD onto your Tower on Hold (so that it is not available for requesting).
  • When you are done, click 

• Be sure that your CD matches the one shown (artist, title, tracks, and disc count) 

• Do not click Refresh on your browser while the button reads "Processing..."  Doing this may cause the CD to be posted twice.

To Post multiple CDs:

• Click the "Post Multiple CDs" link at the top of the Post CDs page
  • Enter your UPCs
  • All valid/recognized UPCs will turn green in the list
    • Any UPCs in boxes that do NOT turn green are not recognized by the SwapaCD database.
    • Check those UPCs for accuracy--remove any that are not recognized

To Post a File of UPCs:

• Click the "Post a File of UPCs" link at the top of the Post CDs page
  • You'll see a "Browse..." button that will allow you to find the plain text file of UPCs on your computer.
  • Next, click the "Upload File Now" button to send the list of UPCs to our servers.
  • On the next page, you'll be asked to confirm each CD before it's added to your Tower.

Last Edited on: 4/21/21 10:34 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
elsquared (Lawrence W L.)

Date Posted: 4/21/2021 12:56 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I tried searching by artist/title, but the results of the search list CDs in the database that have UPC codes.

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 4/21/2021 1:11 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

In the case where your CD does not have a UPC, then it doesn't matter that the listing does.

WareW01f (Chris G.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2021 12:25 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

<cough>

Sell the disc online instead? You may want to check this link.

https://www.discogs.com/Sarah-Brightman-Fly-La-Luna-Tour-Special-Edition/release/1923239