Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: USPS Damage Increasing on Non Machine Letters

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Jack W.

Subject: USPS Damage Increasing on Non Machine Letters
Date Posted: 2/14/2015 12:28 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
It seems that I have been having a rash of USPS damage since the first of the year. What was maybe a 1/10 phenom is now more like 4/10. I use the 91 cent non machinable letter to avoid higher postage but they seem to be machining it regardless. Spoke to my post office and they have no control as everything goes to mailing centers.
TracyB (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 2/15/2015 11:04 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I use non-machineable all the time.  MOST of my CDs get there in one piece,  Most CDs I receive get to me in one piece.  My fail rate is less than 2%

4 in 10 sounds like you might re-think your packaging....or perhaps the receivers just want an extra credit (providing you sent wishlisted stuff).  This time of year it can be bitter cold.  It's 3° here.  That makes CDs more fragile.

I wrap using manila envelopes.  This looks less like a letter.  I use a colored printer so that the "non-machineable" is in red....or I take a red sharpie and color it in with red.  I then write non-machineable on the back in big letters.

Robert J.

Subject: Mailing Experience as of September 2016
Date Posted: 9/17/2016 8:21 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I just sent out six separate CD packages, all in the standard wrapping, all reinforced with two postcards, all with large, bright red FRAGILE notices and all with one dollar stamps. Five got through, one was broken. From what I've read here, successful mailing seems to be a real crap shoot. I wonder whether the USPS people pay any attention at all to the "Non-Machineable" or "FRAGILE" notifications, however colorful they may be. 

TracyB (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 9/17/2016 10:38 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Robert - (I think) the trick is to keep the package  (technically letter class) out of the sorting machines.   Sorting machines read zip codes and turn the letter toward one zip code or another.  Our letters must be HAND sorted (for which we we pay extra).  Because a machine breaks a CD during a machine sort.

Red envelopes from NetFlix don't get put thru machines, so I use a color too....manilla envelopes.  Some other SWAP members use those cardboard CD mailers.  Those aren't mistaken for regular letters either.  Hang onto any of those you receive, and use them over again.

Last Edited on: 9/17/16 10:39 AM ET - Total times edited: 1