Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: 49¢ fee for ordering CD

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Subject: 49¢ fee for ordering CD
Date Posted: 1/23/2014 11:04 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Is the 49¢ fee per order or per CD?  If I order 5 CD's from one person is the fee 49¢ x 5 ? 

Thanks! 

disengage (Tammy S.)

Date Posted: 1/23/2014 4:51 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

It's per cd. I just ordered 6 from one person and it deducted .49¢ for each cd.

MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Date Posted: 1/23/2014 5:37 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Ouch!  Thanks Tammy!  Well I'm really glad they waive the fee to deposit money in our account.  

disengage (Tammy S.)

Date Posted: 1/23/2014 5:53 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Yeah I would be spending all my credits here if they removed the 49¢ per cd.

I watch for deals in the bazaar. That's a good way to stretch the 49¢.

tennisrep (Mitch E.)

Date Posted: 1/28/2014 10:04 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I agree.  I know the fee is what supposedly keeps the site operating but it seems little ridiculous when you get multiple orders from the same person and they have to pay for each order!  I am like Tammy and look for opportunities on the Bazaar!

Keerayduh (Steve L.)

Date Posted: 1/28/2014 8:26 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

No offense - but I can't understand why people expect everything for free.  The site has to pay to lease the database.  And if a seller sends 5 CDs to a person and two are not acceptable - the site refunds the 49 cents and credits for each of the bad CDs.   So it makes perfect sense to pay this nominal amount for each CD.    And the 49 cents covers a CD or a multi-CD set - you only pay 49 cents for, e.g. - a 3-disc set.  (I understand that the other sites (books/movies) do not refund anything for a bad receipt.)

The sender of multiple CDs gets the benefit of your ordering more than 1 CD - not the site - their costs are flat.   So if you order more than one CD from a sender - they get the benefit of lower per-CD shipping costs.

I know that people in the past said there is a value to the traded disc used to obtain the credit - and yeah, the postage and shipper aren't free for the sender - but the value of the CD itself is $0 because it's something the sender doesn't want anymore and chooses to trade.

MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Date Posted: 1/29/2014 8:36 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

On SwapaDVD you do get your credits returned if the disc is lost or broken or not playable.  They don't charge a fee for ordering DVDs.  They do encourage you to order more so the sender can save shipping.  

Jiyu (Robert P.)

Date Posted: 2/2/2014 11:16 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Like Swap-A-DVD, PaperbackSwap doesn't charge a fee to order books, either, and they also refund your credit if there is anything wrong.  They manage just fine (on ads, apparently) without charging a fee for member swaps.  This "sister" site should be able to do the same.  I swap all the time on the DVD and paperback sites because it costs me nothing (except to mail my stuff out, of course), but I very rarely swap anything here because of the fees.  If the other two sites owned by the same people can keep running without fees, why not here too?

Last Edited on: 2/2/14 11:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Date Posted: 2/3/2014 1:20 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I wonder if they will have to start charging a fee on the other sites.