Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: getting charged more for postage

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
clubmarx (Janet B.)

Subject: getting charged more for postage
Date Posted: 6/15/2007 8:57 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I'm ticked. I followed the directions "Wrap the CD and 1 to 2 pieces of non-corrugated (cereal box-type) cardboard with the SwapaCD Wrapper. ($0.75)"

The post office machine wouldn't let me buy a stamp for less than $1. The person at the counter charged be $1.30 per item.

Has this happened to anyone else?
staffymom (Debbie S.)

Date Posted: 6/15/2007 9:24 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Yep, every single disc I send is either $1.30 or $1.47. I showed our postmaster discs that were sent to me for less than a dollar, and her response was that she was going to inform the originating p.o. of their errors. I give up.

Debbie
Bonnie (Bonnie S.)

Date Posted: 6/16/2007 8:12 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Check out this thread...not that it will exactly help... http://www.swapacd.com/forum/topic.php?t=913&ls=0
Keerayduh (Steve L.)

Date Posted: 6/16/2007 8:48 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
With the new postal laws, regardless of how you package the CD, it is not considered flexible, therefore the old way of figuring postage does not work. (It might work with an unsuspecting postal worker, but it can cause problems such as postage due on the other end).

1 oz is shipped for $1.13 and every additional ounce costs 17 cents. A typical cd packaged poorly in paper alone costs $1.30, with cardboard or backing, (and depending on the weight of the booklet) $1.47, and protected in the plastic cd case it costs $1.81.

And if you put things in perspective, you are getting a cd for $1.81 plus you are getting rid of one you don't want anymore.

Regards, Steve :)
twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 6/16/2007 9:35 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Well I have been sending cd's for .75 and they are going through that way. They meet the requirements for 2 ounce letter, .58 with additional .17 for non-machinable rate. CD with inserts, thin cardboard, address outer wrapper, clear packing tape.

If you are paying more, you should take a list of the requirements to the P.O. and demand an explanation.

Just stand your ground!
iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 6/16/2007 10:06 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Steve,

Nowhere in the regulations does it say that if it's not flexible it can't be a letter. That just means it'll have to go out as a letter with a $.17 non-machineable charge.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to know the regulations before you go into the PO.

You need to know exactly how your package should go out before going in there. They may try and tell you:

1. A CD cannot be a letter - FALSE - A CD can be a letter if it meets size & weight standards.
2. If it's not Flexable it's not a letter - FALSE - Just add $.17 non-machineable charge
3. If it doesn't meet the radio of length to width it's not a letter aka, "it's not in the gray area"- FALSE - Just add $.17 non-machineable charge
clubmarx (Janet B.)

Date Posted: 6/16/2007 12:19 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Yeah, she told me it was not flexible, and couldn't be a letter.

WRONG - see http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Click on the question mark icons for letter and large letter. only LARGE letters have to be flexible:
"Large Envelopes that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not uniformly thick pay package rates."

The minimum dimensions for a large envelope are 6-1/8 inches and 11-1/2 inches.

ehh
kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 6/16/2007 2:06 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
In order to qualify for the lower rate w/non-machinable, it has to be under 1/4" thick. Otherwise it gets kicked up to "large letter", which doesn't have a non-machineable options, and then, since it's also not flexible, it gets kicked up again to "parcel", which is the expensive level.

So, in a case it will go expensive. With thick cardboard it was expensive. Thin cardboard I could send it non-machinable. Really thick artwork might be too much.
iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 6/16/2007 6:35 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
According to DMM 201.2.1 there is a requirement for first class letters to have a non-machinable surcharge if it:

"Is too rigid (does not bend easily when subjected to a transport belt tension of 40 pounds around an 11-inch diameter turn)."

This regulation is found here.

Unfortunately, the term bend EASILY can be subject to opinion. Where as physical dimensions are not.

Last Edited on: 6/16/07 6:36 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
ciesdien (Mary C. S.)

Subject: Competitively Speaking...(Postage)
Date Posted: 6/25/2007 5:57 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I'm new here, so forgive, but at this point in time (literally):

With lala:
1) What you pay to send a CD: Zero - they supply the envelope and the CD case.

2) What you pay to receive a CD: $1.75 debited from your credit card (one time per month for everything you've purchased that month.

What am I missing about Swap's being less expensive?

Thank you.
spinaned (Jim A.)

Date Posted: 6/25/2007 6:49 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Mary

Since the fee at SACD is 49 cents if your SACD ships cost less than $1.26, SACD is a little cheaper. The concensus seems to be that a properly wrapped SACD ship(single disk / non digipak) should only be 75 cents postage, well under that $1.26.
Reno-ness (Steve S.)

Subject: The difference is meaningless...
Date Posted: 6/25/2007 9:02 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
and I'm enjoying both sides! The ease of the send envelope versus the creative unique Swap one... I'm loving it!
Kathy L.

Date Posted: 6/26/2007 8:18 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I just posted my first CDs last week and have sent out 12 so far and every one has cost me $1.30 each. That is CD, all artwork, 2 pieces of thin cardboard, 2 pieces of SACD printed paper and taped well.

I sent the first ones last week, then read here about others sending their CDs cheaper so I asked at my PO and they said they have to go as a package. I asked about the non-machinable charge and told them others were using that option but they said it can't be more than 1/4" thick & it is "too close" and all that so I just gave up.

Kathy
iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 6/26/2007 8:27 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
That is CD, all artwork, 2 pieces of thin cardboard, 2 pieces of SACD printed paper and taped well.

Using the same method, as well as a double pocket sleeve, I'm easily able to get it under the 1/4" limit. In reality, 1/4" is quite enough, that's roughly the height of a cd case.

it is "too close" and all that so I just gave up.

Exact measurements should not be subject to opinion. They have a slot to test if it's within 1/4." Don't take their word on things, the Postal Clerks do not understand their own regulations. You need to know them before you go in. Don't give up because of their ignorance.
Michelle B.

Date Posted: 7/3/2007 8:17 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I just came from my post office.  The clerk told me that my CD would cost .75 to mail, 2 oz. letter rate non-machineable.  She verified this with another employee and they both used the template to test for size and width.

CD disc, front & back artwork, 2 pieces of thin cardboard wrapped in the standard SwapaCD wrapper (2 sheets of paper).

SandyManTheMusicFan (Sandy R.)

Date Posted: 7/3/2007 10:02 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

The clerks don't have a cohesive policy.  I got the run around from a clerk that ending up showing me the template with the 1/4" slit. When my CD slid  through, he added "oh, it has to go through EASILY", which it did. Then he amended again that to say that since my CD touched the sides as it slid though, that the touching meant "not easily." 

If somebody could post a permanent guide to the regulations or rules we can quote them, that would be most helpful.

I'm not going to leave this service over a couple cents more postage, but it would be nice to have postal clerks charge the proper/accurate postage, not just pull rules and numbers out of their butts.

RadioActive (Dennis B.)

Date Posted: 7/3/2007 11:50 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Initially I got alot of variation between clerks for my typical packaging.  But, after a week or so, they all seem to be a consistent $ 0.75 (except for the ones that go over 2 oz because of the artwork).  I think it just took awhile for everyone in my post office to get on the same page.

Last Edited on: 7/3/07 11:50 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
cpyu (CP Y.)

Date Posted: 7/4/2007 1:58 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

why even bother going to a postal clerk at the counter?  they are generally clueless.  just put 75 cents of stamps on the lope and drop it off in drop box.  no arguements and always gets through.  i've been doing this with all my shipments on here (and ebay and amazon) and have had no problems.

mom2shy (Lorna B.)

Date Posted: 7/4/2007 9:51 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I've got to send my 1st cd out tomorrow & cpyu's idea sounds great to me.  .58 cents postage + .17 cent  non-machineable rate.  I'm gonna give it a try & see if the P.O. sends it back to me for more postage.  I would LOVE to have  a "permanent guide to the regulations or rules so that we can quote them" as Sandy said.  My 2 very rural post offices differ in what they charge & unfortunately the one that handles my mailbox is the more expensive one.  I've had them send me books back that I've mailed for PBS & say they needed more postage & when I take them to the other P.O. they're fine (yet it delayed the books going out & I had to drive 8 miles to the other P.O.).  If I take my packages to "the city" I really get whacked on postage & have sworn never to send pkgs from there again.

Lorna

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 7/4/2007 11:58 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

if you want a copy of the regulations go to USPS.com. you can find all the new rates there, just have to click on the ones you want, media, first class etc.

RadioActive (Dennis B.)

Date Posted: 7/9/2007 6:50 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I've usually sat quietly and not particpated in the USPS threads. 

I've always gone straight to the postal clerk and paid whatever they said it was.

Most postal employees at the 2 Post Offices I use most have been charging me consistently $ 0.75.  The occassional extra charge here and there, I wasn't going to argue over whether it fit through some slot or something.

On June 30th, I took a package to the post office and had the clerk measure, weigh and affix the postage for me ($ 0.75) only to have it returned to me today (July 9th) with non sufficient postage.

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 7/9/2007 8:17 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Dennis are you going to take it back to the post office to protest? Take a copy of the postal regulations and talk to the postmaster. This is just crazy!

I mail all my cd's from home, wrapped with thin cardboard, inserts, the address paper. All under 3 ounces. All mailed with 75 cent stamp. I have had none returned...........so far!

RadioActive (Dennis B.)

Date Posted: 7/10/2007 12:37 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I took my rejected envelope to a window clerk (at a different Post Office) - she was more upset than most of the people on this board that somebody would question a window clerk's postage stamp.

When she weighed it she needed to add a little more for weight (I notice that most of my SACD packages come up as exactly 2.0; so I'm not going to argue weight), but the "postage due" notice had priced it as a parcel at a much higher rate.

devomike (Michael C.)

Subject: crazyness
Date Posted: 7/10/2007 1:55 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm upset the post office can't figure this out. I send out my CDs in a plastic clamshell with two pieces of flimsy cardboard (cereal stuff) or one stiff piece (box cardboard), along with the artwork, wrapped in the SwapaCD printouts. I thought I finally had the postage figured out because I took 3 of them to the post office last week and each cost $1.47 to mail. So fine, I thought, I'll add the stamps from home ($1.47's worth). Yesterday, I had three more to mail and went to the P.O. The clerk charged me .58, .75 and .75 to mail them. I didn't object, but they were packed just like the other three. Why the cost difference? Yesterday, my receipt shows they went out as first-class letters. I'm hoping I don't find them in my mailbox today for insufficient postage. This is a national calamity.

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 7/10/2007 6:35 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Maybe the solution is DO NOT MAIL FROM THE POST OFFICE!!!!!

buy a scale, use thin cardboard,make sure the cd does not weigh more than 2 ounces, use a 75 cent stamp and put in the mailbox.

ALL of my cd's go out this way, none have been returned for postage due. All have arrived unbroken.

Page: