Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Looking for a certain type of performance....

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Barry M.

Subject: Looking for a certain type of performance....
Date Posted: 3/7/2013 11:30 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I am addressing this question (rather narrowly!) to anyone who has ever heard Freddie Mercury's performance of "Exercises in Free Love".

It's an (over-the-top) piece, reminiscent of "Vocalise" - and I would LOVE to get recommendations of similar performances by other artists.... the "common thread" being that I am looking for (modern) vocal performances without "real" words, by people who can REALLY sing!

Thanks!

DJ M.

Date Posted: 2/18/2014 11:55 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Many female Irish performers sing music that approaches an opera sound though they use real words sometimes in Gaelic.  Naria is a "popera" contemporary opera-esque group.  Nightwish has operatic qualities with quazi-classical music performed in a rock band style (like Evanesence).  You might also try Bjork's album Medulla or the Icelandic band Sigur Ros.  Neither have the operatic sound that Mercury produces in this song but they both use non-lexical vocables.

Last Edited on: 2/19/14 12:39 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
3 (Len S.)
SwapaCD Team

Date Posted: 7/29/2014 12:29 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzai1_IngqE

Have you tried Mongolian Long Song? The link above is to a rather commercial rendition.