Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: USPS Says Rigid Letter is Parcel Mail

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Patrick M.

Subject: USPS Says Rigid Letter is Parcel Mail
Date Posted: 8/4/2010 8:00 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I normally ship my CD's as first class non-machinable mail. Today at the counter, the worker insisted that my "rigid" letter had to be sent as a first-class parcel mail for $1.39. Has this happend to anyone else? What can you do if you can't convince the counter to accept the mailer as a letter?  frown

I just payed it , but next time I will just ask for stamps instead. 

GregoryNipper (Gregory N.)

Date Posted: 8/4/2010 10:53 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Yes, I've had this argument at post offices in more than one city, although some post offices I've visited don't give it a second thought. I say "argument" because on more than one occasion, the postal clerk has been very rude to me or stated that they will not even discuss the issue with me. I've even gotten the "I've worked here for a really long time, I know what I'm talking about" approach.

What doesn't make sense is this: they will agree that there is a $.20 non-machinable surcharge applicable to letters. But then they've told me that anything non-machinable has to be sent package, not a letter.  I ask them why the non-machinable surcharge for letters exists if it's impossible to send something non-machinable letter rate.  They either dodge this question or just stare at me with a look of confusion or disbelief.  

One clerk told me that anything sent letter rate gets sent through the machines, even if the non-machinable surcharge has been added and the letter is clearly marked non-machinable.  I've asked them why they would send something non-machinable through the machines, and they won't answer.  There's clearly something wrong with their system.

My solution some of the time is to simply buy the stamps, put it in a mailbox, and hope for the best.  Lately however, I've started just using bubble mailers, including the jewel case, and paying the extra postage to send it package rate. 

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 8/5/2010 9:07 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

> "Lately however, I've started just using bubble mailers, including the jewel case, and paying the extra postage to send it package rate."

Good solution.

Windyastro (Laura B.)

Date Posted: 9/6/2010 8:20 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Yes, it can't go first class like a letter.  My postmaster is very nice, and explained it to me. 

Anything that is not bendable, like a letter, has to go FC parcel post.   Even some of those greeting cards that have the music boxes, etc.

It depends on the % of rigiidity.....if most of the envelope is bendable then it can probably go first class regular, but if over 1/2 of the package is not, then it's parcel.

They just got new rule books, too so they have probably been busy reading them.  :)

Sarithaann (Sara C.)

Date Posted: 9/7/2010 11:39 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I had this argument at my post office and now have them "trained" to know that as long as the package fits in a letter size and is less than 1/4 inch thick then it can go letter rate with a 20 cent non-machinable charge.  I had to ask to speak to the post master and asked him to show me in the DMM (rule book used by USPS) to say that it should not go letter rate.  He had to end up doing research but then left me a message telling me that I was in fact right about my CD being able to go letter rate.  So anytime a post office questions me, I just play his message with the explanation.  The moral of the story is that unfortunately many at the post office don't know how to do their own job and you just have to be persistent when they act like they do.  If you get any heat, then ask for the postmaster to discuss the issue.  I find that is usually the best way to get around the "know it all" mail clerk that knows nothing.

Robyn S.

Date Posted: 9/12/2010 10:13 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I went round and round and round with the PO about this about a year ago. In frustration I finally contacted the Postmaster General. Not my local postmaster, but the head of the entire USPS. I figured it was time to go to the top. I soon got a letter from one of his assistants who told me I'd be receiving a letter from my local postmaster. In that letter, my postmaster apologized and stated the following:

"Your CDs are mailable at the First Class Mail letter rate with a .20 cent surcharge. The only factors that would change that are if the dimensions exceed 6 1/8 inches in height, 11 1/2 inches in length 1/4 inch in thickness or 3.5 ounces in weight. The rigidity of the item, alone, would not make it a First Class Mail parcel."

So as long as you keep within the proscribed dimensions and weight, you can send your CDs for $.81. And that's what I do, because I'm not willing to spend the extra money to send them in bubble mailers (unless it's more than 1 CD).

kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 9/18/2010 9:31 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

The have a flow chart.  At least, around here they do. They don't always want to look at it, but they have one.

Step 1:  Does it fit within a given size AND is it thin enough to fit through a slot (which is part of the cardboard flow chart).

If so, then it CAN go first class LETTER, even if it is rigid.  If it's rigid it needs a non-machinable surcharge.

They should never get to the rest of the flow chart, which is where the "if it's rigid it goes parcel" is.  That only matters in deciding between large letter and parcel post--not between normal letter and the rest of it.

I've had this go round round and round.  I'm lucky a few of the counter folks really do know what they are talking about and back me up to other counter folks who haven't run into this. 

thekev (Kevin V.)

Date Posted: 9/27/2010 11:48 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have had the same problem at the local Post Office.  They returned several CD's for more postage.  After discussing it with them, including the local Postmaster, I wrote the Postmaster General.  No luck and no reply.  Reminds me of explaining something to a stump.  It is just not worth another trip to the local post office to waste my time.   I just consider it a "Stupidity Surcharge" and pay it.  

GregoryNipper (Gregory N.)

Date Posted: 9/28/2010 12:38 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Last Edited on: 9/2/17 3:18 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Ninest123 N.

Subject: edited by SwapaCD Team
Date Posted: 8/30/2017 1:58 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

edited by SwapaCD Team

Keerayduh (Steve L.)

Date Posted: 9/3/2017 7:55 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

You have to remember that letters are not handled one at a time - they are fed into the machines  - so it's not like you have a postal employee looking at each and every one to see if they're stamped Non-machinable.     And when they do go through the machines, the CD frequently breaks.   Metal is a tad stronger than plastic.   

Dongdong8 D.

Date Posted: 10/19/2017 1:27 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

edited by SwapaCD Team

Leilei3915 L.

Date Posted: 1/1/2018 10:57 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

edited by SwapaCD Team

Monday12 M.