Discussion Forums - Classical

Topic: classical newbie - suggestions?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Savagecinner (Cindi A.)

Subject: classical newbie - suggestions?
Date Posted: 12/30/2008 12:58 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

HI,

My husband and I recently received a promo classical CD and found we really enjoy listening to it.  Typically, we listen to contemporary music in the classic rock and blues genres.  However, I am a lover of all music and don't necessarily consider genres when choosing music.   I simply listen to what moves/grooves me.  I am looking for any suggestions for what I am terming as "power up" classical - very strong and upbeat  - I tend to be most moved by string instruments.  Recently, I ordered Bach from SACD but, I only like one "song" on it.  Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thanks!

Azimuth (David H.)

Subject: Violin Concertos?
Date Posted: 12/31/2008 12:39 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

http://www.amazon.com/Mendelssohn-Violin-Concerto-Minor-Tchaikovsky/dp/B0000025JL/

Keep in mind that classical works typically alternate fast and slow movements.

Savagecinner (Cindi A.)

Subject: Violin Concertos?
Date Posted: 1/1/2009 10:01 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks -  I am excited to explore my new musical interest.  There are so many, many options, though, that it is daunting!  I am fascinated with the violin and all of many different ways it can be played to produce varying sounds. 

J C S.

Subject: suggestions
Date Posted: 6/9/2010 2:15 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

You would be surprised at what you are already familiar with just through exposure to popular culture.

For example, Barry Manilow ripped off themes from Rachmaninoff and Chopin ( say "show-PAHN" not "CHOP-in" ) just as an example.

Start with Mozart. maybe "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"

Then add Bach's "Brandenberg Concertos" .  Beethoven's 5th and 9th Symphonies.  Vivaldi's "Four Seasons".  

Handel's "Water Music"  Tchaikovsky's " Piano Concerto #1" "1812 Overture",  "Romeo & Juliet" and "Nutcracker Suite"

Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini"  Dvorak's "New World Symphony" , Copland's "Rodeo" ( beef song) and "Fanfare for the Common Man".

Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite" (the Marlboro song).   Ravel's "Bolero" ...(ever see the movie "10? )

Even try some opera overtures for excitement (maybe "Barber of Seville" "or Mozart's "Magic Flute" )! Very inspiring! 

Just stay away from Mahler .... for now (just kidding).  

Also find a timeline of the composers online. You can see how they all fit together who inspired whom and how the styles change through the ages...

Last Edited on: 6/9/10 2:19 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
BobMc (Bob M.)

Subject: "Power Up" Classics
Date Posted: 1/18/2011 9:08 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Great that you're exploring new areas.  If you like violin and want upbeat stuff, you can't go wrong with discs of encores by top violinists.  These are short, catchy virtuoso pieces that they play at the end of performances when the crowd won't stop clapping for more, which is all part of the fun and expected.  While I tend to like the bigger pieces - concertos, sonatas, string quartets, etc - I have encore collections by several excellent violinists - Jascha Heifetz (Encores), Isaac Stern (Humoresque - Favorite Violin Encores), Itzak Perlman, Fritz Kreisler (The Immortal), Leila Josetowicz (Bohemian Rhapsodies), Zino Francescotti.  There are a number of new contenders on the scene who have discs of short flashy pieces as well.

Want some white hot classical piano?  Try most anything by Martha Argerich or Sviatioslav Richter.  Either can make a Chopin Ballade a breathtaking experience.  A French pianist named Alfred Cortot played with remarkable emotion and the transfers of his recordings from the 1930's are remarkably clean.  Fasten you seatbelts with any of those three.  Cello - Jacqueline du Pre - possessed - or one of Yo-Yo Ma's crossover albums. 

Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops or Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops have lots of enormously popular upbeat light classical discs.  Even as CD sections shrink like cashmere in a hot wash - I just did that to my wife's favorite sweater - Kunzel and Lockhart's sections are as big as ever.    

Stay away from bargain basement collections.  You might have to wait a while for the best performers (and maybe not), but it's the same number of credits for top shelf recordings or bottom.

Bob Mc  

crabby-doctor (Winston C.)

Date Posted: 3/13/2011 5:55 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

If you have a public radio station in your area, which you should from DC or Baltimore,  listen to that for awhile.  they will play the whole gamut of classical works----there are a great many and all different genres---I so like the violin pieces, but that is probably because I took violin lessons for about 15 yers and played in several orchestras when I was younger.  Now I just play the radio, and some CD's.