Discussion Forums - Rap & Hip-Hop

Topic: hip=hop question

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
clarysage (ALLY M.)

Subject: hip=hop question
Date Posted: 10/2/2006 9:46 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I don't know a thing about hip-hop as it's not my genre in music but have grandkids that love it. Can anyone suggest a few groups or single artists that arn't hard core-gangsta rap for me to get them. Anything hard core would piss off the parents, I'm sure.
divinemsn (Noemi M.)

Subject: hip-hop question
Date Posted: 2/21/2007 4:33 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
How old are the grandkids? I like A Tribe Called Quest and Heavy D and The Boys. Not gansta rap, more mellow and danceable.

DivineMsN
Kristen D.

Subject: hip-hop question
Date Posted: 4/30/2007 12:37 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
De La Soul, the first Goodie Mob but DOES HAVE a few curse words, ummm, Bow Wow? Lol.. It does definitely depend on how old they are. The first two Lil' Wayne cds, actually the first THREE don't have any curse words accept for one song because he was under 18 at the time and promised his mom that he wouldn't curse until he was legal and everybody who REALLY loves and likes hip-hop like or at least respect Lil' Wayne, myself included, because his word play is RIDICULOUS!
iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 5/3/2007 3:37 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
You should try Grits, they are a Christian Rap Group and really are very good. Not cheesy.

Last Edited on: 5/3/07 3:37 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
rockingwriter (Kim J.)

Date Posted: 6/26/2007 3:25 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
eminem, obie trice, j della, 50 cent, lloyd banks, missy elliott, jay z, tobymac . . . try any of those - teen love them, and for younger kids:

Bow wow
romeo
jonas brothers
DeadHawkG (Tim G.)

Date Posted: 1/21/2009 12:23 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

You can always get the "Clean" or "Edited" versions, where the cuss words are blanked out. Otherwise, you can just look for albums that don't have a parental advisory on the cover (you can search for the clean ones on here, or you can view the front image of things on here to look for the black & white box on the cover that says "Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics")

MsBlase (Laura H.)

Subject: Rap question
Date Posted: 7/1/2010 1:31 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Jay Z, Common and Ludacris are good rappers with little  to no curse words.

jackster27 (Jack C.)

Date Posted: 10/7/2010 3:05 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I cant really think of any rappers that don't curse.  But if you are just looking for good music some of my favorites are Arrested Development, CunningLyguists, Binary Star, Common, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Immortal Technique, Gang Starr, Lost Boyz, Jedi Mind Tricks, Deltron, Wu-Tang Clan

Monday12 M.

Subject: edited by SwapaCD Team
Date Posted: 1/2/2018 10:22 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

edited by SwapaCD Team