Discussion Forums - International

Topic: Recommendations for Celtic Music

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Breninithaca (Bren H.)

Subject: Recommendations for Celtic Music
Date Posted: 9/15/2006 7:59 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Looking for music similar to Enya, Loreena McKennit, Maire Brennan, Clannad, etc. Prefer female singers. My collection of rock/country is slowly being replaced by a New Age/Celtic collection, my tastes have really changed as I have gotten older.
moon (Lindsey H.)

Date Posted: 9/19/2006 6:00 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I've posted Susan McKeown's latest CD, which SACD has for some reason included in the genre of "rock & pop" (hardly!). She's an Irish singer, but not quite the ethereal/New Age type -- a little more earthy and traditional.

Here's her official site. If you go to the "Shop" page you can listen to samples of her music:
http://www.susanmckeown.com
And if you like what you hear, here's the CD I have up for swap:
http://www.swapacd.com/cd/details.php?nbs_id=517147
moosedog (Jerry S.)

Date Posted: 3/15/2007 3:20 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Someone recently turned me on to the duo called Vas...the woman is Iranian born singer and her partner is an American percussionist. Their music is sort of fusion definitely influenced by Middle Eastern rythyms and her voice is incredible.

If you like Loreena McKennitt I think you'll enjoy Vas.
Victoria C.

Date Posted: 3/23/2007 12:05 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
The reason McKeon is listed as such is because at one point she did do pop music. Sometimes the old labels stick.
lupielady (Cheryl R.)

Subject: harp music
Date Posted: 8/10/2007 9:08 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm looking for restful harp only music to sleep by.  I prefer no real melody or beat.

lupielady

pookatawny (Pam M.)

Date Posted: 6/10/2008 10:16 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

try Altan, Mary Black, Maura O'Connell, Sinead O';Connor, Kate Bush.... If you like a country sound, you might like Allison Kraus as she has a higher lilting voice, but the band (Union Station) is more country/bluegrass.  Probably not for sleeping, but nice music.

HTH!

Mike G.

Date Posted: 6/17/2008 12:46 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Try Grace Griffith or her old band Connemara.

Cedarbend (Colleen A.)

Date Posted: 3/25/2009 10:31 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Sissel.  On the album "Long Journey Home", you will find her singing "An Raibh Tu Ag An Gcarraig" (Were You at the Rock?).  Absolutely beautiful!  She is Norwegian.

Greg M.

Date Posted: 10/25/2010 12:53 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Besides what has been mentioned, I can't think off the top of my head, but if you are willing to have a couple of guys, I'd suggest Christy Moore and Ron Kavana/Alias Acoustic Band. I love both of these guys a lot. Listen to some samples and see if they are up your alley.

G

Art R.

Date Posted: 2/2/2011 1:22 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

The Chieftains are the Beatles of Celtic music; begin anywhere in their collection.  Others I would recommend include Donal Lunny, the Quincy Jones of Celtic Music; Davy Spillane, the Jimi Hendrix of the uillean pipes, as cliched as that looks; and Old Blind Dogs from Scotland, of whom I guarantee you'll love the singer's voice, not to mention the harmonica player's chops.  Many more out there but I gotta go to bed.  Listen to the "Thistle & Shamrock" on a local NPR radio station for ideas; go to their website for playlists.  G'night.

Last Edited on: 2/2/11 1:24 AM ET - Total times edited: 1