Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: How do you store your CD’s?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Subject: How do you store your CD’s?
Date Posted: 3/9/2021 5:41 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have a crate of  CD's that I am importing to iTunes.  I have a CD shelf with glass doors that is full and thus the rest are in an open crate.  

I want to put board game when the crate is and therefore need to find a new place for the CD's.

Does anyone know of a good plastic carton with lid to store CD's?

Michelle D.

Date Posted: 3/9/2021 6:05 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

No, not really. I have a tower, just about as tall as my shoulder, that I keep my miscellaneous CDs on. (One Fleetwood Mac, two Freddie Mercury, etc.) I have one of those cinder block shelves (i.pinimg.com/originals/de/b4/24/deb424184516c40966fbdc8eecb26674.jpg) and I keep bands that have smaller discographies (Dire Straits, Simon and Garfunkel, etc.) in the cinderblock holes. I also have a wooden shelf that I keep my favorite bands on. My father has shelves built into the wall and also has a tall shelf tower. It seems to work well. I got my tower at the local Goodwill, and my father got his tall shelf on the side of the road for free and we refurbished it. 

Dennis S.

Date Posted: 3/10/2021 12:23 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

For my CDs that aren't displayed on shelves, I use storage boxes from Bags Unlimited. I use boxes that hold 100 CDs. They also make a 40 CD box. I prefer their corrugated cardboard boxes, but they also make corrugated plastic boxes. I also use their boxes for my LP and 45 vinyl collections. They make all kinds of items for most any type of collection.

MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Date Posted: 3/10/2021 3:56 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Michelle,  I remember the CD towers but I never owned one.  Years ago we found a great CD Cabinet made of glass and it's mounted to the wall.  I thought that would be all the CD space I would ever need. Then I bought used CD's at Goodwill and my collection has overgrown the space.  

For now I am keeping the CD's in a Amazon box and as I import a batch they go in another Amazon box.

I plan to import about a dozen a day.  Then these CD's need to be sealed away somewhere because the music will be on my ipod. 

Dennis, I want plastic boxes with lids,  I have to find the ones that have straight sides, many storage containers have slanted sides.   

Last Edited on: 3/10/21 3:57 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ducky (David O.)

Date Posted: 7/31/2021 7:31 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I've used these from Staples.com -

Really Useful 6.5 L Storage Box, Clear

Sturdy and stackable.

I've also seen Snap-N-Store CD storage boxes on Walmart.com but haven't tried them yet.

In a pinch, I've also used colorful cardboard boxes from the local liqour store.

Take a box cutter and after drawing a line at the correct height with a Sharpie all around the  box, cut to size.

Can also cut strips to put inside for row dividers.

TracyB (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 8/1/2021 1:32 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

The ones I use are made by Homz - 7.5qt Modular Latching Clear Storage.   They fit CD's with "regular" cases pefectly.  Odd size cases - like those with a cardboard front and a digipak glued to the (inside) back don't always fit. 

Target & Amazon have 5 packs for $29.99.  They stack nicely.

Last Edited on: 8/1/21 2:10 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
toritime (Jimmy W.)

Date Posted: 8/25/2021 3:20 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

My CDs that are mine to keep are organized by artist on a massive media tower that I bought on Amazon. It's so huge it had to be mounted to the wall.

The CDs that are in special packaging (cardboard digipak for instance) and are slated to be sold or traded out are also on this shelf, but towards the bottom.

CDs that come in regular jewel cases, that I know are being traded out, are already removed from the cases and sorted alphabetically by artist in a drawer of perfect height and width that is literally JUST the wooden drawer, taken from an old busted desk. The drawer sits on the top of a bookshelf and whenever I get a request, I bring it down and find the disc/inserts in question and send them out!

WareW01f (Chris G.)

Subject: Paper boxes.
Date Posted: 3/13/2023 11:52 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Paper boxes work surprisingly well. I've not been able to unpack a bunch of boxes, but they seem to fit nice and stack well. If we are really talking volume, I would look at like the Heavy boxes from Home Depot or the like. I've not seen a lot of plastic bins that hold that sort of weight over time. You want to stack as many as possible on end. Not only is this easier to find things later, but they take weight on them better.