Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Condition of CDs and Inserts NOT what I expected. Would it bother you too?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
markg731 (Mark G.)

Subject: Condition of CDs and Inserts NOT what I expected. Would it bother you too?
Date Posted: 1/16/2021 10:24 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hello. I ordered 12 CDs from a single member and I'm trying to decide how to mark them received. I'd like your opinions. ALL CDs have some issue.

CD 1 is a library discard. There is a sticker and permanent writing on the Front Insert, a barcode sticker on the Rear Insert, and permanent ink and a security label ("Property of the XXXXXX Library") on the CD itself. The CD doesn't look too badly scratched. This CD was posted as Disc, Front and Back insert. The member DID NOT let me know about the stickers or writing on everything. If so, I would have canceled my request. IF I repost it, I won't include the inserts, which makes the possibility of a request less likely. How should I mark this received? According to Swap-a-CD, if the CD plays, I'm SOL on the inserts.

CD 2 is NOT a library discard, but the CD is badly scuffed (I'll have to listen to it first). However, the rear art is badly warped from water damage, and had been previously folded in half. It was unfolded and put in a jewel case, but still damaged. Again, it was posted as Disc, Front and Back insert. Had I known of the conditions of the rear insert, again, I would have canceled my request. How should I mark this received? Again, I know Swap-a-CD doesn't care about the condition of the inserts. So I may have no recourse.

CDs 3 - 12 are from a Box Set. It's even in the title " Mozart Edition: Keyboard Works [Box Set]."  The photo shows a 10-CD Box (I know the photo doesn't necessarily have to match what I receive, but...). I just received 10 individual jewel case CDs with NO OUTER BOX. The UPC used to post this "set" is not included on any of the CDs. Each CD does have a UPC of some kind, but NONE are recognized by SwapACD. Because I was ordering a Box Set, I was expecting the BOX it came in,  which makes it a box set, and not a collection of 10 CDs. If I repost this "set" I would certainly contact the requesting member to let them know there is no outer box.

UPDATE: I looked at the CDs I received from the "box set." 2 CDs contain track discrepencies from what SACD shows. 1 CD shows the same number of tracks, but the physical CD has a completely different track 5 than what SACD shows. The 2nd incorrect CD has 22 tracks, while SACD shows it should have only 20 tracks. 2 extra tracks - YAY for me, but still wrong according to SACD, and the tracks are in a different order from what SACD shows. This is minor, yes, but still the member is supposed to make sure ALL track listings are correct for the CDs they're posting...

I've not ordered from this member before, and it's likely I won't again. Any suggestions on what I should do? I am aware that Swap-a-CD only requires the discs to play and doesn't care about artwork or condition of inserts. So I may not have any official gripe. It's just frustrating and I'm curious if others would feel similarly in such a situation.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

Last Edited on: 1/16/21 11:03 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
Dennis S.

Date Posted: 1/16/2021 1:43 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Swap does require that the number of discs and track listings must match. So you should have some leeway there as long as those track listings were on the box set entry. If they were from listings for the individual disk entries instead, that might not help since the box set listings and individual disc listings would not necessarily have to be the same.

I don't like folded artwork, and I despise damaged artwork. But you have to go by the rules of the site. Philosophically, I look at the inserts in the same way as the discs. If the artwork is usable (much like if a disc is playable), bascially fits in the jewel case and is readable, then I have to accept it. If it so badly damaged that it won't fit in a jewel case or can't be read, then I feel that's the same as artwork not included.

The help center states "Any extra items that are specifically mentioned in the CD title on SwapaCD must be shipped with the CD. For example, the CD "The Essential Gift Pack (Box Set) (includes book: The A to Z of Classical Music)" must be shipped with the mentioned book. If the additional items are no longer available to be shipped, you may only offer your CD in our Bazaar forum, explaining in your post that the item(s) are not included."  To me, stating "Box Set" implies that a Box is an extra item that should be included. But the site dosen't seem to agree. This one does confuse me a bit.

Library copies are explicitly allowed, and those are likely to have stickers.

I feel I have to accept anything allowed by the site. If I want to play, I have to play by the rules.

markg731 (Mark G.)

Date Posted: 1/17/2021 8:27 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

"To me, stating "Box Set" implies that a Box is an extra item that should be included. But the site dosen't seem to agree. This one does confuse me a bit."

Exactly. I am confused. I was expecting a Box when ordering a BOX SET. The title doesn't specifically mention "Includes the BOX" but it does say "[Box Set]." FYI, I've reached out to Swap-a-CD to have them advise me how I should proceed, especially given the minor track differences on 2 of the CDs. I'll let you know how they respond, though I imagine they'll just say "mark it received."

I guess what bothers me more than anything is that there were problems with ALL the CDs I ordered. from the missing box to the poor condition of the inserts, to the scuffed CD (listening now to make sure it plays...). I've ordered from members before who have contacted me to say "the artwork has some minor issues -or- this is a library discard. Are you ok with that? -or- the rear insert is folded...etc." It'd be nice if everyone was that considerate, but I realize that doesn't represent reality.

If I have to mark them received and move on, I'm ok with that. Assuming the discs all play fine, I've got some new music to listen to and I'm sure my local thrift store will aprreciate a few new donations. wink

WareW01f (Chris G.)

Date Posted: 1/21/2021 3:30 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm not a huge fan of the CD and art only bit, but I get the fact that it saves cash. I would think though that as you get into the range of a certain number of discs its just as easy to mail the whole thing media mail. It would be nice if there was some allowace for this, either though like adding the right amount of credits extra credits to the item or the like. 

markg731 (Mark G.)

Date Posted: 1/21/2021 4:06 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

They did send it media mail (there were 12 CDs total and all had jewel cases) which is why I felt is was a bit strange that the outer cover for the box set was not included. It wouldn't have cost any more to include it. However, if that's how THEY received it (without the box) and they reposted it, there would be no box to send.

I did hear from SACD and they said "No, you should not expect the box for this set of CDs since we never require the case to be sent." That's unfortunate, but not unexpected. I guess they see a jewel case the same as the sleeve for a box set. There should be an extra option for box sets, in my opinion: Yes, include slipcover/box, or No, no slipcover/box.

They also said I was technically eligible for a refund since 2 discs did not exactly match what is shown on the site for the track listings. I see that as Amazon's issue and not the sender in this case. The 10 CDs were definitely from the correct box set and I don't blame the sender for the misinformation.

After all this, I just marked everything received. The library discard with all the stickers and permanent marker and the badly scuffed CD (which did play fine) with the bent rear artwork will be donated. If I manage to request CDs from this member in the future, I'll know what to expect, or I'll contact them first to inquire on the condition.

Last Edited on: 1/21/21 7:57 PM ET - Total times edited: 3