Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: What is the 'preferred' way to mail.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
WareW01f (Chris G.)

Subject: What is the 'preferred' way to mail.
Date Posted: 11/27/2020 8:10 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm seeing the instructions on here talking about just mailing the paper bits and not the jewel cases. Is this the standard practice on here? 

TracyB (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 11/28/2020 11:19 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Most of the CD's I receive are mailed without cases.  A VERY small % of the CD's I receive are damaged this way.

Postage to mail a CD with a case will cost you $2.80.  Postage without a case (provided your package is less than 1/4" thick) generally costs 85¢  

The key to mailing CD's that are not damaged is to keep your mailer out of the sorting machine.  I like the cardboard 6x6 CD mailers like this:  https://www.amazon.com/Cardboard-Document-Self-Seal-Shipping-Envelope/dp/B07CTB4K7X/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1XDY3D77ZRS84&dchild=1&keywords=cd+mailers+cardboard+self+seal&qid=1606579833&sprefix=cd+mailers%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-11

I've also used small manilla envelopes, and used cereal box cardboard inside.  Dollar Tree sells 8 packs of manilla envelopes.  I cut the envelopes down a bit as 9" is too tall.  These mailers don't look like standard letters, then I write non-machinable on the backside as well. 

Do not use a bubble mailer unless you expect to pay $2.80.  It's too thick for 85¢ 

MrD (Constantine D.)

Date Posted: 1/5/2021 10:38 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have always sent mine with the cases.   I would consider sending them without, but with those cardboard mailers on Amazon, do the discs need any extra packing?   I would be concerned that they get bent by the P.O., thereby breaking the CD.

WareW01f (Chris G.)

Date Posted: 1/21/2021 3:34 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Being the type A person I am, I took to the paper cutter and precut a bunch of cardboard backers. I use a stiff, thicker bit of corigated for rigidness and a thinner bit of cardboard for protection on the other side (and to keep the thickness down) Seems to work rather spiffy in the stock paper wrap.