Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: CDs cracked in mail

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
nug (Stephen L.)

Subject: CDs cracked in mail
Date Posted: 11/26/2018 11:18 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Some of the CDs I've sent recently have been received cracked. 

I switched over to the mailers recommended here, but some of them were still received cracked. http://www.swapacd.com/forum/topic.php?t=12298

Recommendations?  Big arrow pointing at non-machinable?  Adding bubble wrap or an extra layer of cardboard in the mailer?

Last Edited on: 11/26/18 11:20 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 11/26/2018 4:55 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

The best way to avoid getting the disc broken in the mail is to make the package too thick to fit in the mail sorting machine.  That involves paying extra postage (package rate instead of letter rate). 

nug (Stephen L.)

Date Posted: 11/29/2018 8:08 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'll keep that in mind.  How much would postage increase?

EllisDee (Jeff M.)

Date Posted: 12/1/2018 12:07 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I mail single CDs as letters using medium weight chipboard for padding on both sides. For extra reliability I use bright yellow paper and stamp it with a red NON-MACHINABLE stamp. Ignoring materials, the postage cost is $1.10, which is 21 cents over the minimum of $0.89. I've mailed around 60 this way and every single one has arrived intact and undamaged. It's not unusual for people to send PMs thanking me for the "extra secure" packaging.

Amazon sells medium weight chipboard in packs of 25 12x12 sheets for around $12, which I cut into 4 pieces (2 mailers) each for a total of 50 mailers per $12.

Chipboard has a strong axis and weak axis. Here's a picture showing how I cut mine:

Test

EDIT: I finally got motivated to post a complete guide to how I mail CDs using standard swapacd mailers. I'm very happy with how the mailers end up, and confident they'll arrive safely. Or, at least, as reliably as if I'd sent them in a bubble mailer, but at half the price. (Anything not machinable will end up with parcels, where your swapacd mailer or bubble mailer could have a heavy box of car parts dropped on it. So no matter what, your CD isn't 100% guaranteed to make it in one piece.)

Using standard swapacd mailers

Last Edited on: 12/1/18 3:14 AM ET - Total times edited: 1