Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Can someone help me find some postage due information here?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Dave N.

Subject: Can someone help me find some postage due information here?
Date Posted: 11/2/2016 12:16 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hi,

I'm sure I've seen something about this on the site before but I can't seem to find where it is now that I need it.

I received a CD I ordered today. I haven't opened it yet because it came with $1.75 postage due which seems like a lot even though it was sent first class with tracking. It says endicia.com by the scan code where the stamp would go and doesn't say how much was paid already. I'm just wondering if someone can tell me where to find the information on the site about what I need to do. I was just going to contact the member but I don't know if they'll believe me. Most members have been great over the years but I've been through headaches with a couple members before and don't want to be accused of anything I didn't do again. I'd be thankful for any help.

Thanks!

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 11/2/2016 11:48 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hi Dave,

I am not real sure there is any set procedure about this, when it happens.  It's something that can happen to anybody...I know I've handed over discs at the counter at the P.O. all nicely paid up and stamped only to have them arrive with Postage Due at the destination.  In my case, it ended up with an amicable exchange of PM/apology/credit donation, or with a simple heads-up message to me or from me -- but it can just be darned hard to predict when the great big Postage Due stamp will come down... despite the predicted postage-cost printed right on the wrapper.

I'd send a nice heads-up message and see what the response is.  I'd hope the trader is sympathetic -- depending on packaging, who's on duty, whether they can find the ruler,  and how they interpret the regulations, things can vary from $1.10 to $2.75 or more to send one semi-rigid flat package.  Bottom line is, even for as bad a discrepancy as that, it would seem unlikely anybody would claim you're a fibber for the sum of $1.75.  Just send a nice neutrally-worded heads-up PM.

Hope maybe others can provide other perspectives....

ICB

Dave N.

Date Posted: 11/3/2016 7:11 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks ICB,

I'll send them a message. Most members are great anyway.

Thanks again!

markg731 (Mark G.)

Subject: There is an established policy on Postage Due
Date Posted: 11/4/2016 12:08 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hi Dave.

Check here for SwapaCD's policy on postage due: http://www.swapacd.com/help/search.php?terms=postage+due

Basically, you must pay the postage due, mark the CD received, and notify the sender who then should compensate you for the missing postage.

There are a number of things at work here with regards to postage due:

1. The sender could have used a letter rate, but the item was thicker than 1/4" or taller than 6" (in these cases parcel rate is required which is more expensive than letter rate). If the CD was mailed with a case, it is most assuredly thicker than 1/4".
  2. The item could fall well within USPS regulations to be mailed as a letter, but some postal clerk somewhere along the line decides it is not a letter, but a parcel, and thus, the postage due. If there is postage due you have 3 options: refuse the item (which is against SwapaCD's policy), pay the amount due and contact the sender and hope they make it right even if it was NOT their fault, or take the item to your local post office and attempt to plead your case that the item should not have postage due (good luck with this option; I have never been successful).

The USPS is grossly inconsistent and their front-line clerks often do not know the regulations or even where to go to find the answer. I have been told many incorrect or contradictory things by post office clerks. I often use cardboard CD mailers and one clerk told me that because it's cardboard, it has to go parcel rate. He couldn't tell me the specific regulation or even direct me to where it is in print. Similarly, I've been told if the envelops isn't paper, it's not a letter.

I've received CDs with NO postage and it still was delivered without postage due. I've received CDs that were clearly over 1/4" but only had $0.89 postage and should have been postage due, but wasn't. I've received CDs with uncanceled postage stamps on them. And of course, received CDs with postage due when it definitely should not have been.

Unfortunately, this is all part of trading on SwapaCD. There really isn't any way around it. At some point, be you sender or recipient, you WILL get stuck with postage due.

Dave N.

Date Posted: 11/4/2016 1:14 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hi Mark.

Thank you. I got your PM and answered you there already.

Thanks again!

MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Date Posted: 11/4/2016 7:46 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I think it's up to the receiver whether or not to pay the postage due.  It's never happened to me but wouldn't you have to go to the post office to pick up the postage due package?  My packages are delivered to my mailbox or my door.  Going to the post office would be a hassle and having to pay would be another hassle.  However I would probably go and pay but it would be my choice.  

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 11/4/2016 7:52 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Mark, a great post.  I think this response from SACD "makes sense" from the Official point of view, but everything you said reflects the real experience many of us have had. I have a feeling the Official response has tightened up some since the last time I thought to go looking -- and bottom line is, responsibility falls on the sender.  Most traders are responsive and reasonable, and it's probably a good rule to keep in mind: when you're the sender, you are the responsible party, and when you're the receiver, be forgiving.  Communicate -- and enjoy the music.

markg731 (Mark G.)

Date Posted: 11/6/2016 10:29 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Well said, ICB.

Another frustrating thing is that the postman/postwoman used to place a small envelope in my mailbox for the postage due. I'd add the money and place the envelope in my mailbox for the next day. Still sucks having to pay postage due, but it was convenient. Now, for some reason, they don't do that any longer, but place one of those salmon-colored slips in my mailbox telling me I have posta ge due. I then have to drive to my post office, wait in line (post office lines are often worse than at Costco) and pick up my postage due item in person. VERY inconvenient.

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 11/11/2016 9:11 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Yikes!  That seems like way too much to impose on people who are, after all, customers of the P.O.  They didn't "make" the problem.  A good way to end up with a gigantic backlog of unclaimed mail to be responsible for.  I wonder if some of our "lost" CDs are in that giant pile -- unclaimed.

scotso (Scott C.)

Date Posted: 11/13/2016 7:01 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I get a few a week with postage due, and generally just swallow the loss.  I had an argument early on, with a member thats now gone.  It doesn't seem worth it. 

MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Date Posted: 11/14/2016 1:41 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I did not know that the PO would deliver the postage due item to you and place a postage due envelope in a mailbox.  I agree that's very convenient to put cash in the envelope and leave it in the mailbox for postal carrier to pick up.  I would be impressed that USPS delivered my mail even though it postage due.  I would stick some cash in the envelope and be happy I did not have to go to the PO.  

markg731 (Mark G.)

Date Posted: 11/15/2016 2:36 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

MusikLover, I guess it would depend on the carrier. We had a great carrier who was doing that for me. I guess it was ultimately easier than filling out one of the salmon-colored notices. Just write how much is due on the envelope and put it in the box with my other mail. Yes, it was very convenient for me. Not so much now; we've got a new carrier and now I must trek to the post office to pay for and retrieve my postage-due mail.

Joni B.

Subject: this happened to me today.
Date Posted: 5/19/2017 10:46 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I got a postage due CD in a CD brown cardboard box, which we all know takes $2.63 postage.  The sender had put ONE stamp on it, as if it were a letter.  There was a pink slip with the $1.76 due on it.  I happened to see the postal carrier so knew what it was.  I had ordered the CD a long time ago and had had to buy a credit to get it because it was on my wish list and I had forgotten about it, but thought I HAD TO buy a credit since it was on my wish list.  However, I am a disabled senior and it is difficult to buy ANYTHING much less something I want, even if it is "just a CD" and at a good price, so I have felt guilty about purchasing a credit to get this CD.  The thing is, I am on this site to SWAP CDs, not buy them and then pay the postage.  

Surely this sender knows that you can't send a CD for one 49¢ stamp?

The postal carrier is going to take it to the PO and I will decide by Monday.  But seriously, I just want to send this CD back to the sender. 

Last Edited on: 5/19/17 10:48 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
markg731 (Mark G.)

Date Posted: 5/20/2017 3:22 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hi Joni. The offical policy is to pay the amount due, and contact the sender who is then supposed to reimburse you in one way or another. If they don't, send a message to SACD, tell them what happened (that the sender didn't use enough postage and would not reimburse you), and they should make it right. I agree that everyone should know you can't mail a CD for a single first-class stamp.

I had an item arrive postage due. The amount was $1.07. I paid it, contacted the sender who simply ignored my PM. $1.07 was not a lot to me so I let it drop. It doesn't happen often, but it's part of swaping on ths site. The USPS is unreliable and all it takes is one zealous postal clerk to decide something requires additional postage. In this case, however, they are justified; there simply wasn't enough postage.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but it's an all-too-common issue.

I've gifted you a credit to soften the "sting" a bit. smiley

Happy trading!

Mark