Discussion Forums - Artwork and Case Bazaar

Topic: 6 pounds of CD artwork (really!) - many genres - for art project, or?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
aronr (Aron R.)

Subject: 6 pounds of CD artwork (really!) - many genres - for art project, or?
Date Posted: 5/4/2014 2:49 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

From a local recycling center's media exchange bin, over the past six months, I've collected close to ** 6 pounds ** of CD artwork: front covers/booklets and back covers.  Just about every genre is represented: from pop and rock (largely), country, jazz, R&B, rap, hip-hop ... and from well recognized artists and bands to struggling indie.

Occasionally, it seems someone has - or multiple someones have - been dumping artwork into that bin, nesting there alongside a pile of detritis of mostly old tech/media.  (That bin usually gets filled over time with home-made and published VHS tapes, cassettes, and diskettes, as well as obsolete software CDs, AOL promos and other promo CDs and disks, etc.)

Much of this artwork is clean and in decent condition; some isn't.  Some artwork has wrinkles, folds, tears.  A pretty sizeable number of back covers are folded cleanly once, in the middle, but there are also a lot that aren't.  Some fraction - probably modest - of back covers have a spine or two torn off, from being tossed around amongst that media.  Please understand that this lot is being offered 'as is': whatever it has, in whatever condition, is what you'll get.

This massive pile might be a daunting task to sort through, but if you're up for the challenge ... or might want to use these for an art project (create a collage, mural or wall?), classroom projects, a business project, or the like ...

If you're interested, please PM me.  This entire lot can probably be shipped via Media Mail in the neighborhood of $6, to most parts of the US, and I'd be glad to send this to your home or business - or even directly to an artist, educator, or any other recipient of your choice, if you wish - for just my shipping cost: $6 in cash or postage stamps, or 3 credits (since these seem to be worth $1.75 to $2.00 each these days), or whatever else we can mutually agree upon.  And there's no charge for my gas/time waiting at the P.O.

Finally, if you'd like Priority Mail shipping with tracking, we can arrange that, instead, at whatever the actual cost may be, as well (probably around $11-$12).  Otherwise, please note that the package will ship untracked.  (If sent via Media Mail, I'll send you a photo of the box just before mailing, and let you know when it's been mailed.)

Last Edited on: 5/4/14 2:50 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Radical (Lacey P.)

Date Posted: 5/8/2014 9:17 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Do you know if you have Box Car Racer artwork?

Dennis S.

Date Posted: 5/9/2014 11:15 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I wish there was a reasonable way to handle artwork exchange when large amounts are involved. There is artwork I need, but more than I really want to take the time to list. And although a large batch like yours just might happen to have something I need, the odds are low enough that it doesn't seem worth following up on.

Meanwhile, I have three shoeboxes full of artwork I don't need. Far too much to list. And although there are probably people out there who could use some of it, the odds of having something a particular person needs are slim.

Maybe someday when I have time, I'll just go ahead and start listing what I have and what I need in batches.

aronr (Aron R.)

Date Posted: 5/12/2014 11:22 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks for your interest, Radical / Lacey P.  I don't recall having seen Box Car Racer artwork in that 6-pound mix.  If ever I do come across that artwork, I'll be sure to PM you!

Dennis, very much appreciate your thoughtful comments.  Sounds like we're in the same boat - this lot is, in the aggregate, roughly around your own "three shoebox" sized CD artwork collection.  Perhaps I might later do what you've suggested for yourself - listing these in batches - or else look for some other way to get these, in bulk, into the hands of someone who would like to use these for an art project, or in some other way.  There is some amazing artistry - photos and drawings - on these covers, and it'd be a total shame if they just got thrown into a hopper and recycled as bulk mixed paper. **Shiver**

Last Edited on: 5/12/14 11:26 AM ET - Total times edited: 5
ladyrose (Sheila S.)

Date Posted: 6/24/2014 6:39 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

deleted due do it being found.

Last Edited on: 6/24/14 9:37 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
aronr (Aron R.)

Date Posted: 6/28/2014 1:04 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

The 6 pounds of CD artwork is still being offered, as per above.  Perhaps you have a creative use for these?

Recently saw postcards at a record store, cut from LP covers.  It'd be interesting to do something similar with these covers ...

aronr (Aron R.)

Subject: Massive lot of CD cover artwork ... CLAIMED!
Date Posted: 8/14/2014 10:40 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

A SwapACD member has claimed this lot of 6 pounds (actually now 8-9 pounds) of CD cover artwork, for a project. (Thanks much to that member!!)