Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Have enough credits to get a CD, but not enough money?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
laureenoluv (Lauren M.)

Subject: Have enough credits to get a CD, but not enough money?
Date Posted: 12/27/2011 5:23 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

So I have been easily getting credits by swapping CDs with other members. However, I haven't been getting any money, and it's annoying because you have to pay .49 cents in order to get 1 cd, along with a CD credit. I have change in my house that would add up to 49 cents, but I don't have a money card at the moment to put it on. Is there anything I can do to get some money on my account legally?

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 12/27/2011 6:36 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hi Lauren,

You can use PayPal, which can be tied to whatever bank account you want it to be tied to, including your checking account.  No special card is required.

That 49cent fee might seem onerous but it really makes things work smoothly here, and ensures that if your disc is lost, damaged or has another problem, everybody gets their credit back -- no fault, no blame.  That makes this site, of the three Swapa sites, unique.

Happy trades,

ICBERRY

Last Edited on: 12/27/11 6:37 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Evelyn L.

Date Posted: 12/28/2011 9:42 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

It's not the fee that's onerous, but the fact that to put the 49 cents in, it costs you another 50 cents in fees.  If you swap lots of CDs, you can just put a chunk in at a time, but it hardly pays for occasional swappers.

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2011 2:02 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I usually put in $9.80 at a time, plus the 50c transaction fee is $10.30.  That's good for 20 trades.  If you trade often, that won't last as long as if you trade seldom.  If you trade seldom, the money will last a good long time and you won't have to worry about it for awhile.

Maybe you don't want to put that much in at a time.  But the more you put in, the less often (in terms of number of trades) you'll have to put in the 50c extra.

Cindy K.

Date Posted: 1/3/2012 10:52 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I rarely swap CD's and did not know they implemented a 49 cent fee per CD.   I now have spent $19 to order 2 CD's--  $5.50 for the 2 CD's I bought, 6.60 (postage, plus DC plus the 50 cent feex2) to buy postage from the sight, now I have to buy another 98 cents + 50 cents fee to order 2 CD's. I can't even transfer credits to another site as I have not posted enough CD's to get an initial credit  that you HAVE to use before you can transfer credits, plus you have to have 3 credits to transfer anyway.  Ridiculous....I'm ordering the 2 CD's and I am done swapping CD's.

Last Edited on: 1/3/12 10:54 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ducky (David O.)

Subject: Gotta Love This One . . .
Date Posted: 2/13/2012 10:41 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I had sent out a CD to someone else last week and after the postage was deducted, I had $0.35 cents left in my account.  I had added some money to my PayPal account, but that always seems to take longer than it should after it is pulled from my bank for it to show up at PayPal. 

I had a CD that has been on my wish list since June 2011 that I have been #1 on for months that finally became available on Sunday and the system skipped right over me since I didn't have $0.49 in the account.

I might be better off to just switch everything on my wishlist to 48 hour offer to at least give me enough time to see an email and deal with something like this again in the future.  . . .That's what I'm thinking about doing.

Next time I don't have money in my account, I think I would be less inclined to fill someone else's order and pull my balance down because of the Bank > PayPal time lag (which is totally not this site's issue).

Lesson learned on that one.

Evelyn L.

Date Posted: 2/14/2012 8:49 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have posted a few CDs here (not even the 10 to get a free credit) and have transferred the credits received to books and DVDs.

TracyB (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 2/14/2012 2:10 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Cindy, I'm confused.  How did you spend $19 to order 2 CDs?

Here's the initial post ....  

"I rarely swap CD's and did not know they implemented a 49 cent fee per CD.   I now have spent $19 to order 2 CD's--  $5.50 for the 2 CD's I bought, 6.60 (postage, plus DC plus the 50 cent feex2) to buy postage from the sight, now I have to buy another 98 cents + 50 cents fee to order 2 CD's. I can't even transfer credits to another site as I have not posted enough CD's to get an initial credit  that you HAVE to use before you can transfer credits, plus you have to have 3 credits to transfer anyway.  Ridiculous....I'm ordering the 2 CD's and I am done swapping CD's."

The initial cost of the CD you traded away is irrelevant.  Retail stores purchase INVENTORY.  Individuals, on the other hand, purchase stuff they use.  You got "use" out of the item you purchased and then traded it.  Original cost of a CD you traded has no bearing, anymore than the cost of the CD you received.

The only charges here are:  postage, shipping supplies, 49 cents to request a CD, and the occasional 50 cent transaction fees.

The 49 cent fee is charged (on Swap a CD) because some discs are damaged in the mailing process.  Your credit (and the 49 cent fee) is returned to you if the CD arrives "damaged by the post office."    Because Books and DVDs are "more durable" - they are less likely to arrive damaged.

Hollywooddreams (Stacy K.)

Date Posted: 2/16/2012 10:14 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I started my account with $5 to get some "seed" money in my account - I think the 48 hour hold will work better for me so that I will have an opportunity to refund before losing a cd I've been not-so-patiently waiting for. I can see where the $.49 will add up quickly if I'm not diligent about watching my balance.
kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 3/4/2012 5:05 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I use the 48 hour hold after having lost out on CDs because I didn't have a credit here (I had 20 on a sister site) or cash (I don't like restocking until I need it).

I'm confused about the "having implemented a 49 cent fee" though--that's been there since the start.

Brian D.

Subject: Trading credits for swapacd money
Date Posted: 6/18/2018 4:03 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hello. I'm a recent member who would like help and support to implement giving money into another swapacd account, in the same way as you would with give credit with a button. I'd like to have the ability to trade my swapacd credit to another member for swapacd money (I mean credits earned through trading, not the free credit given when you post 10). I understand there is a fee for depositing money into swapacd, so I would receive less than the current standard of $3 for this type of exchange. This would open up an additional method for utilizing and receiving swapacd money without removing it from swapacd. This is what i would like to do and I for one would release more from my posted CDs on hold, add more altogether, and generally be vastly more willing to use this website if I am able to trade credits for swapacd money. Thank you for your time.

MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Date Posted: 6/18/2018 7:27 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hi Brian,

Right now there is no fee to deposit money in your SwapaCD money account. 

NO FEE.

You can sell your credits in the CDBazaar. 

If you sell any credits you could use that money to deposit SwapaCD money in your account. 

Right now there is no method set up as you suggested.  

Last Edited on: 6/18/18 7:28 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
EllisDee (Jeff M.)

Date Posted: 6/19/2018 1:54 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

The feature I'd really like is to be able to transfer money between my swap accounts, specifically swapacd and swapadvd. I can (and do) trade credits between them, but I'm unaware of any way to trade money between them.