muzikfan | 02/04/2010
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Madonna has some interesting periods in her music, and this shall join the ranks on Erotica in terms of reception: terrible. Why? Oh, I don't know; the mass public will believe whatever is spoon-fed them. Let me say how this really is: a 4.5 star album with very good songs; I gave it 5 stars for being underrated. Mass public hears something bad, pandemonium erupts. You know how it goes.
Coming from the 4 star (good) acoustic effort that is Music, it's interesting to hear her try electroclash music. Yes, electroclash; Hard Candy has ensured she CAN NOT do hip-hop. It has Die Another Day, American Life, and Hollywood, and some others that were released. To hear the album as a whole, you must admit it really is good. Maybe a bit unreachable, but yet reachable. The rap is embarrassing, but not by too much; it's, as the french would say, drole. Okay, a bit of a goofy rap. That's ALL the rapping she does. Then, it's on to the electroclash, which she does in such a way that surpasses those who have dedicated their lives to the genre. And some of these songs have fairly introspective lyrics, then some verge on narcissism. Basically, it's a nice little album that you won't regret having in your collection, because it retains who Madonna is fundamentally; a rebel, trend-setter, genius in her own right (I'm looking at you, Hard Candy). This review doesn't come from hindsight of how bad Hard Candy is; it's an honest review about an even more honest (and fantastic) album."
Modonna= The Best
Walmart Gift Card | 05/27/2010
(5 out of 5 stars)
"As you know; Madonna is the queen of Pop. Madonna always had creativity for every album and it's always something new. American Life is my favorite album so far. After hearing American Life I had to purchase this album. The first single American Life is quite catchy but with a little bit of rap.
Highlights include: Hollywood, Die Another Day, and Love Profusion
Now I'm going to rate each individual song:
1. American Life- First single on the album. I wasn't quite sure if it was really gonna be a popular mainstream hit. The only thing that ruins the song is the "rapping" but overal good but could have been better. 10/10
2. Hollywood- Very catchy song with some cheesy lyrics. The beat is very good. 10/10
3. I'm So Stupid- My personal favorite. Madonna has a few high notes in this song which is absolutely great. Go Madonna! 10/10
4. Love Profusion- I believe is another single. Written and sung beautifully by Madonna. Another favorite. 10/10
5. Nobody Knows Me- Very catchy song but not the best on the album. 8/10
6. Nothing Fails- Now this is a great song with a beautufl tune. 10/10
7. Intervention- I find this song quite similar to Love Profusion. The lyrics are so haunting. "I Know that love will keep us together" 10/10
8. X-Static Process- This song is so beautiful, but hard to understand the theme of the song. 8/10
9. Mother and Father- Madonna sings about not having a mother when she was little and just talking about her life. Brilliant song and onther favorite. 10/10
10. Die Another Day- I remember seeing the film Die Another Day and this song was playing and I knew it had to be madonna singing it. madonna is at her best. 10/10
11. Easy Ride- Great closing song. 8/10"
M A S T E R P I E C E
Jet | Texas | 06/20/2010
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I was not very thrilled about listening to this album, being that it was her least succesful of her career and was it bashed by critics, but nonetheless i slipped the cd in my cd player thinking it would be a mediocre attempt and i could hopefully squeeze out at least 3 songs to put on my iPod. I had heard the opening track "American Life" before and i was not impressed one bit, but listening to it on my cd player, in complete silence and away from the world, i really had a chance to listen and appreciate the lyrics and take in the ecclectic sounds, they were both very expressive and thought provokingly raw, by the second track "Hollywood" i was already hooked, and i could tell this album was not going to be any slump of any kind
Right behind Confessions on the Dancefloor, American Life has become my second favorite Madonna album of all time, It's a mixture of mature intense reflective ballads, and eccentric electronica songs that go down your ears like nothing before. Lyrically it's one of Madonna's best album, the rawness and the intelligence of it just hits you and holds on to you.
Get this album, It's Madonna at her intimate best. A Pure Musical Masterpiece
My Top 5
1. Nothing Fails
2. American Life
3. Easy Ride
4. X-Static Process